Poppy seeds

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Shakey, Jul 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you eat loads of poppy seeds, like the ones you get on posh bread, can you fail a drugs test? :?

Incidentally, has anyone got any good dits about CDTs?
  2. Only if they are the seeds from the black poppy....... :)
  3. Oh god.
    Thats as bad as the smoking bannanna skins one.

Get a life.

Drink beer
  4. "mythbusters" on the discovery channel showed that certain product with poppy seeds can contain enough opiates to give a false positive result!!

And HERE
  5. Until Nov 05 , I worked at a clinical research place, and we had a guy who had to prove he was a baker so he could pass the screening tests as he always tested positive for opiates
    ( Please excuse the pun )

6. What ever you lot are smoking, I want some!!!
  7. Also see snopes.....

Claim: The consumption of poppy seeds used on bagels and muffins can produce positive results on drug screening tests.

I went for a pre employment company drug test, and they warn specifically against this, as well as being in bars etc where you might "inhale" something other than cigarette smoke, as it may show up in a blood/UA.
  8. My mate, used to be a CPO on the CDT team, says that they have to be very careful about telling Jack about the poppy seed defence as if it were wide knowledge, then every druggy would claim that their +ve result was purely due to a few bagels...
  9. Ships Cat

As I see it the problem with your evidence is it all comes from newspaper reports in America which I would trust even less than a newspaper report in the Scum.

10. Come on Nutty there are some quality rags in the US, National Enquirer for example is far more believable than the Scum.

11. *raises eyebrows in amazement and goes for more grog*
  12. It's true! Blimey!

Right then, I'm off to plant some papaver somniferum. Makes my garden look nice, see? :lol:

(Puts 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers on and buggers off to the garden...)
  13. If I remember rightly a tv program gave a vicar some healthy bread scattered with poppy seeds and he did test positive for opiates!!
  14. A nice pint of Worthies or two has the desired effect on me , trouble is I live directly oppisite the Workies in St Budeaux , far to convenient realy
    I may partake in a few tonight when I finish work , :oops: :roll:
  15. Nutty, not my evidence. Snopes. You think its not true, tell them.
    As for their references, newspaper reports from Assoc. press appear in such rags as the Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Guardian. And the Washington post is a little rag that you might remember from "all the kings men".

But if you dont like that, then how about Wikipedia? They're open source too, which means if you have some evidence to the contrary, have at it.

False positive drug tests

Eating food (e.g. muffins) that contains poppy seeds can make someone test positive for opiates in a drug test. Although the drug opium is produced from the unripe fruits ("seed pods") rather than the seeds, all parts of the plant can contain the opium alkaloids. This was featured on the American television show Seinfeld.

The television program MythBusters tested and confirmed that one could test positive for narcotics after consuming products with poppy seeds. One of the two participants in the experiment, Adam Savage, who ate an entire loaf of poppyseed cake, tested positive on the first test which was taken only half an hour after consuming the food. Jamie Hyneman, who ate three poppy seed bagels, first tested positive two hours after eating. Both tested positive for the remainder of the day, but were clean the next morning, 18 hours later.

The sale of poppy seeds is banned in Singapore due to the alleged morphine content.
  16. There are times when I am surprised that people are actually allowed to be alive in Singapore, after all they might actually enjoy themselves.

17. Oh Pussy for boats

I did not say your evidence was not correct, all I said was having looked up the reference you gave I saw all the reports were from newspapers who possibly picked up the same press release or jouno's story. I for one do not trust the press at all. OK I give the BBC World Service a little street cred but the rest NO WAY.

18. Pussy for boats?? Ive never been SM :wink: Or are you referring to the "Mess tart" on an RFA (the bloke who always has womens shoes in his locker.....that fit him!! 8O )

I totally understand your circumspection with the printed press, but as Snopes is generally concerned with debunking internet email myths they tend to use wire services like AP and Reuters a lot to check the veracity of names, places etc.

So how about WebMD, from;

Toxicology Tests
    What Affects the Test

Factors that can interfere with your test and the accuracy of the results include:

* Some drugs that may be mistaken for others. For example, some cough medications that do not contain narcotics may be identified as a narcotic.
    * Drinking or eating some types of food (such as a food containing poppy seeds).
  19. The problem with the wire services is they are still fed by journos, and accuracy is not required for a good story. As a general rule the only qualification a journo needs to be for example a medical correspondant is to be able to make up a good story that will sell.