Poppy Man

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brazenhussy, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Sun has stated that he was killed in a road accident in Cyprus. Should this really lead to a war pension? Surely this would open the gates for wives of all service men who have died in road and other accidents. Cyprus is not a war zone. I strongly believe in the Widows of soldiers killed in action being awarded a pension, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
    My sympathies to the widow and family.
    Standing by for incoming.

2. I can see your point, but the way he died makes very little difference to the position of his family, I would have thought. Also, despite not being Helmand or Basra, Cyprus is still an operational tour.

3. So are we advocating that if any serviceman dies his wife should get a war pension.
    During my 22 years in the RN several members of the RN were killed or died through heart attacks, car accidents, accident attributable to service employment etc. As for Cyprus being an operational tour, it's not exactly fraught with danger. Are they issuing medals for those serving in this beautiful and peaceful island?
    There has to be a line somewhere, killed in action though should surely be at the top of the list.

4. I'm advocating that if a servicemen dies on duty, as a result of that duty, then his wife should be awarded a war pension.

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

War/War Widows Pensions are paid by the SS (not Himmler's) not the MoD.

Link

One doesn't need to get shot. Maybe he was driving a Service vehicle. Maybe a Service vehicle other than his caused the crash. If he wasn't a pongo he wouldn't have been in Cyprus? He was on duty?

I expect she'll get a portion of his HMAF pension too. Quite right too.

6. Thanks for the link Seadog
    The rules seem to be fairly straightforward.
    I disagree with the awarding of a war pension purely on where he was serving. If his death meets the criteria set on the link then his wife will get her pension.
    The argument of wrong place wrong time has long been used in Arabic countries. One of the field engineers had to compensate the family of a child run over and killed by a taxi driver. The reason, the taxi driver would not have been in that place if it had not been for the infidel hiring him. Therefore it was the infidels fault.