Poppy Burning 'Outrage'.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RO2weiler, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

Who cares if they burnt them, as long as they gave cash to acquire them.

2. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

I think those ones were made in a Leicester sweat shop and free.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

And all because we burned their poppies in Ghanners... :shock: :twisted:

4. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

you have to ask the question, if those Muslim protestors are so patriotic about Afghanistan, why aren't they out there where our troops can legally have a pop at them.

Freedom of speech in this country has gone to far, the Haigh Fund is not just about the soldiers who have lost their lives or been injured in the Afghanistan.

5. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

Violence against these people is not the nswer. however I bet that they would take notice it they were squirted with water pistols. The large type favoured by kids in the summer, but filled with a mixture of water and pig sh!t :p

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

7. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

I doubt patriotism has any part of it. They're probably more hacked off with what they perceive as continuous unjust invasions and interventions of Muslim populated nations by a power hungry West who deem themselves moral superiors who interject by force.

In Iraq civilian deaths attributable to the occupation is estimated at around 160,000.

In Afghanistan it is estimated at around 24,000 to date.

I'd be fucked off with that too. As for if they don't like it go home. Put yourself in their shoes. You can't feed your families and live in fear of being killed 24 hours a day, someone offers you a way out to a better life. Do you take it? Of course you do.

They may not get their point across particularly well or tastefully, but a point they may just have. The fact that they choose to do so at this time of year is down to the fact that it is particularly high profile. Whilst we appreciate that the Haigh fund is not just about Afghanistan and Iraq, the Poppy appeal, RBL and the tabloids are doing a good job of degrading the poppy and pushing it as a glorification of current conflicts.

8. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

Monty,

When you have your 'Serious' head on you generally make sense.

Without being accused of 'taking your post out of context' all I can say is that your perception, as stated above, has somehow become rather warped, is out of step, and would bewilder any of those involved in the RBL's activities.

I will not argue with you, suffice it to say that I am saddened to see that, somehow, you have reached that viewpoint.

I believe to the contrary. For many years the work of the RBL generally proceeded unsung and untold. The casualties of current & recent conflicts has both increased their workload AND rightly raised both their profile and fund-raising efforts to cope with that workload.

How that involves 'degradation/glorification' is at best confusing and defies logic in my opinion.

Bob

9. I cannot disagree that the RBL do sterling work and have my utmost respect and thanks for what they do. I personally feel that the quiet dignity has been replaced in recent years by a more in your face approach, in particular the branding of every single member of the armed forces as a "hero" which I can understand how some people may find distasteful.

In no way am I disrespecting the RBL or poppy appeal, or wishing to knock them for the work they do. I am a particularly enthusiastic ambassador for forces charities.

Perhaps the replacement of that quiet dignity with a more current conflict-centric approach is what is necessary today but I can see how it may distance some people.

The RBL are superb, I just worry how they come across at times.

10. Re: Poppies burned by Muslims

So you go to the "enemy" and sponge off their welfare state, I suspect a lot of these protestors wouldn't be able to find Afghanistan on a map.

11. The Poppy Fund had long been connected with the survivors of firstly the 1914-1918 WW1 and then 1939-1945 WW2 so perhaps it was felt that the general public was failing to realise that the more current conflicts were producing victims in need of support.I would agree with Monty that the word "hero" has been somewhat overused in recent years but if it has helped persuade the public at large to dip into their pockets and support Servicemen's Charities I can live with it.

12. Monty,

That 'Hero tag' had already been tarnished enough by the sports journalism fraternity, the active serviceman/women being a more modest creature.

Perhaps the new (upstart?) HelpforHeroes Charity has to shoulder most of the responsibilty for the 'Hero' tag? Successful as H4H has become in targeting aid for the current wounded it has caused/jolted the other more staid Service Charities to raise both their game and approach to fund-raising.

I leave you with this quote, it's far better than my wordsmithery:

<<Remember The Fallen : Care For The Living

As we enter the time of year known as Remembrance Tide, the three weeks culminating on 11th November, we ask all Help for Heroes supporters to buy and wear their poppy with pride. H4H is working closely with The Royal British Legion and all the Service charities as we unite to support 'our blokes'. While we at H4H are mainly focused on the current wounded, we are acutely aware that though they are young today, they will grow old; the support must continue.

All the main Service charities are playing their part to provide direct, practical support to both those injured in conflicts and their families. Our fund raising efforts are directed at the Personnel Recovery Programmes as we strive to fund the creation of Recovery Centres and The Royal British Legion is an important partner in that effort along with the others.

So this year, when you buy your poppy, do it in memory of those who have died serving and in support of those who live with their injuries and help us help our heroes. We shall remember them.

Thank you,

Bryn

Visit The Royal British Legion website at www.britishlegion.org.uk.>>

Pulled from H4H website at:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

13. Good post bob. Can't fault any of that.

14. This evening, an Imam in Portsmouth has said he is saddened his mosque has been targeted twice in two days after remembrance poppies were burnt in London.

Full story here

15. I wear my poppy not because our "heroes" but in rememberance of my grandparents who may not have died during WW2 but were they were in the thick of it. They are not with us anymore though so I also remember their colleagues who died at their side during that time because they can no longer do it. I remember those who have died also as well in other conflicts from all three services. It reminds me how lucky I am to have what I have too.

My grandfathers weren't heroes, they are more than that to me. They are legends of their own time, their stories I now pass on to my son. Even though he may not understand yet I still tell them. From both of them leaving the beaches of Dunkirk, to fighting in Africa, Normandy, Italy, Arnhem and more so one of them being the one of the first ones into Belsen to liberate it.

That's how much the poppy means to me. If buying one helps someone in the process to get on with their lives then it's even better. I remember every day but this time of the year I like to show it.

16. I agree - the word 'hero' is grossly overused - ie 'hero chav saves cat from tree' - no, not a hero.

A hero wins a VC, or some other incredible honour (in general) though sadly many go unrecognised.

Still, I'm wearing my poppy with pride for all conflicts, past and present and on Sunday will leave it on the field of remembrance with all the others.

17. I think the Iman is right to be saddened. As Montigny-La-Palisse has said, a few Islamic nutters (OK, paraphrasing) shouldn't tar the many decent Muslims with the same brush. All this mosque daubing does is alienate some of the decent ones. [​IMG]

18. I do wonder if the Iman spoke out against the poppy burning before or after his Mosque had been daubed?

19. yawn