Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poppy Appeal - ettiquette

CM10689

I want to buy a Service Poppy from the Royal British Legion with the Fleet Air Arm badge which my grandfather served in before he passed away (https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-jewellery/service-poppy-lapel-pin.html?homepage-top-box-3 - there's a huge selection here, if anyone is interested).

Anyway, as a civilian, my concern is that I don't want to breach any etiquette / look like a Walter Mitty by wandering round in November proudly wearing FAA wings which I've never earned.

I was wondering what people's views were on this? If it's not something I should wear out I'll probably buy it anyway and keep it with his medals and other bits and pieces from his career, and then buy myself a different, neutral one.

Sadly he's no longer with us otherwise I'd ask him.

Thank you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Don't know what other people may think, buy I personally think it's entirely appropriate to pay your respects in this manner, whatever your background or affiliation.

Last weekend I was in Navy uniform and laid a children's home-made wreath in tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives in WW1. Yes, sailors also fought in the trenches in WW1 as well as at sea, but I certainly wasn't going to quibble.

Sumo

War Hero
No problem, to be a Walt you would have to claim you served, if anyone ever asked just say my dad was a WAFU, end of.
For what it's worth Mrs S wears one with Dolphins on, she was definitely, never in-service other than a Naval wife.

Taztiff

War Hero
For what it's worth Mrs S wears one with Dolphins on, she was definitely, never in-service other than a Naval wife.
Mrs Taztiff wears one of mine with the Fisgard crest on. Again, as Sumo says, a Naval wife.
I would be proud if either of my son's wore my Fisgard one in my honour once I'd passed on. Exactly the same as them wearing my medals in the correct manner.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary urges troops to support Poppy Appeal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Ambassador to Turkey Sir Dominick Chilcott's remarks on Poppy Appeal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scottish Poppy Appeal’s ‘Light up Red’ campaign comes to Dover House MoD News 0
soleil ITV: "Soldier Injured In Afghanistan On Poppy Appeal Posters" Charity 2
soleil Telegraph: "Five Service Schoolgirls Form Poppy Girls Appeal" Charity 1
scouse Poppy appeal , Concert on in the Smoke Diamond Lil's 0
soleil London Poppy Day Appeal Charity 8
trelawney126 Poppy Appeal? Diamond Lil's 2
sgtpepperband Royal British Legion/Hovis Bread Poppy Appeal Charity 5
blue_sophist Poppy Appeal 2009 Charity 0
BusterQuin Guzz Bike Show in Aid of the Poppy Appeal Motoring 3
BusterQuin Wristbands in aid of the Poppy Appeal Charity 45
Bad CO Royal British Legion 2008 Poppy Appeal Current Affairs 0
A 2007 poppy appeal Charity 6
NotmeChief Poppy appeal - You WILL enjoy this. Current Affairs 15
BusterQuin Mp3 download 'Lest we forget' in aid of the Poppy Appeal Charity 1
AllCallsigns Official Poppy Appeal Video (YouTube) Current Affairs 1
V McDonalds Not Supporting the 2007 Poppy Appeal? Current Affairs 29
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary visits poppy factory MoD News 0
soleil Stoll/RBL/Poppy Factory - Veterans' Drop-In - Second Wednesday Of Every Month - London NW1 Charity 1
Simon - Quest Magazine Win a limited edition signed print from Jacqueline Hurley’s War Poppy Collection Competitions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British public urged to be aware of poppy merchandise scams MoD News 0
Stirlin Leather Poppy Charity 4
MoD_RSS News story: Hundreds of Service personnel support London Poppy Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister meets poppy producing veterans going for gold MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel and Ministers show support on London Poppy Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: London Poppy Day raises more than £65,000 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces turn out to support London Poppy Day MoD News 0
silverfox Tower of London Poppy Field The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Bristol Poppy Day - £21,400 Thanks From The Royal Navy Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
trehorn Nice Touch. Festival of Remembrance Poppy Girl Reunion. Current Affairs 19
soleil London Poppy Day - November 7th 2013 - HMS Tyne And HMS President Charity 3
frogman007 Is the poppy in demise? The Quarterdeck 130
S The Poppy Girls Miscellaneous 2
mikh Poppy Plantation Charity 1
soleil Union J 'Go Commando' To Support Poppy Picnics Charity 9
soleil Western Morning News: "Poppy Pins Raise Over £600 For Royal British Legion" Submariners 0
blondemolotov poppy business Current Affairs 123
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition - POPPY DAY Competitions 8
trelawney126 Norris Kicks Off Poppy Day HMS Severn Current Affairs 1
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition : POPPY DAY – by Amanda Prowse Competitions 1
C 'Poppy Calls' in Birmingham Charity 0
NotmeChief Two men charged over poppy burning protest in London Current Affairs 12
R Poppy Burning 'Outrage'. Current Affairs 58
soleil RNR Personnel Helping To Sell Poppies On London Poppy Day Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
SONAR-BENDER Thank you site and/or Mods for my Poppy! Site Issues 8
RachelC The Royal British Legion’s official Poppy People launch Charity 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS POPPY History 1
SS-super-stoker Poppy money stealers - ways to kill them Diamond Lil's 22
BusterQuin Virtual Poppy Garden Charity 0