Popping ears- medical

just a quick question, if I can’t pop my ears at the medical at raleigh will I be deferred? I’m not going for a submarine role but I’ve heard different things.

LateToTheParty

Lantern Swinger
He's running out of things to worry about. :D
Sick bay ranger in the making, I’m sure there was a brief when we joined about the over cautious medical staff in phase 1 will discharge you if they see too much of you for fear of compensation claims for various ailments.

3rd of January and my New Years resolution of not getting wound up in the RN Recruiting forum is looking like failing - badly. Exiting to my PS4 for some remedial slaughter!
Janner yer spot on mukka!!!!!!

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
My medical involved the old can you pop your ears question followed by a torch to see the state of the drum, thought that would be standard practise!

I might of got that at the pre joining stage but I’ve had a few Since then, the last one was November for a parachuting course. I might get asked it when I return as I’ll hopefully be doing the scuba medical so I can get another jolly in whilst waiting for SMQ

In a similar vein, there's no requirement to be able to open your eyes underwater, is there? Passed my medical without it ever coming up, so I doubt it, but sensitive little me can't open my eyes underwater without it stinging.

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@LateToTheParty are parachuting courses available to surface fleet RN? I'd absolutely love to do do some jumping out of planes!! (no sarcasm, I'm serious)

@WannabeAdmiral excellent question! I would also like to know if we have to open our eyes underwater cos I've got sensitive snowflake eyes too! (again I'm serious - I'm sh!t underwater)

@LateToTheParty are parachuting courses available to surface fleet RN? I'd absolutely love to do do some jumping out of planes!! (no sarcasm, I'm serious)

@WannabeAdmiral excellent question! I would also like to know if we have to open our eyes underwater cos I've got sensitive snowflake eyes too! (again I'm serious - I'm sh!t underwater)
Not as an occupation. Unless you join the Royal Marines.
Friend I joined the RN with, (way back). Left in 92 as WO1 in the PAra's. Loved plummeting so much he transferred to the Para's. It all started with a parachuting course at Dunkerswell whilst serving as a NAM or AET in new parlance.

Don't know what the score is these days. Is it classed as a dangerous sport? With the RN's numbers dwindling would they allow a dangerous activity? Don't know, maybe someone serving or a CA will be able to shed light!!

are parachuting courses available to surface fleet RN? I'd absolutely love to do do some jumping out of planes!! (no sarcasm, I'm serious)
Sport parachuting courses were available during my time, (I left in 2001), and I'd be very surprised if they've been discontinued.
Your friendly neighbourhood PTI will be able to point you in the right direction.
Go for it, it's fantastic!

Edited to add see Waspie's post above.

It’s all recreational for the time being but I’m getting the AT in as a way of expanding possible avenues through my career ( such as S.P.A.G or ME diver )

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@LateToTheParty you've been to collingwood yeah? I'm guessing your not RM? I've got an idea in the back of my mind of potentially expanding my career later on into something more too, that is unless I absolutely love ETME