Poppies

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Karma, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been wearing a poppy since last weekend, so far I've bought half a dozen as I just leave them on my suits rather than swap them between jackets.

I've noticed that there seem to be a dearth of them being worn, although over the course of the week lots have been available.

Anyone else have any observations on their use so far?

2. Its still early yet, a week to go,will get one soon.

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I've bought 3 so far, popped a tenner in the box today and got a free car window sticker :thumright:

There doesn't seem to be so much political drivel this year; morons with the white poppy, BBC presenters refusing to wear them etc etc which is good. I got quite angry last year as people were jumping on the bandwagon attempting to turn an act of remembrance and fundraising into a political statement. I did notice Her Majesty wasn't wearing one though on her trip around Pinewood Studio's... tut tut Ma'am.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say in my neck of the woods (North West UK) they are absolutely everywhere.

I'm normally "ahead of the game" with regard poppies, but everywhere I've been, the majority seem to be wearing them before I was. I'm wondering if the campaign started sooner in this region than in recent years past as an experiment?

One thing I've also noticed, credit where it's due, is on TV this year - well done to the various media groups on that score.

5. Same here in Staffs,loads about and everyone interviewed on tv seems to be wearing one as well.About time as well.

6. I have to say that I have struggled to find a poppy seller in the city centre of Brum during a lunchtime this week. I ended up buying an enamel poppy from the RBL and making a donation too.
    As we get fewer and fewer of the "old boy" veterans surviving and willing to go out and shake the tin, I think it's going to fall to recent veterans to take up the banner (Falklands, Gulf 1 etc). I have made my decision that next year I will take some time off in November and volunteer to sell poppies in Brum, it's the least I can do.

7. Nice thought T24,worth considering.

8. BZ :thumright:

To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders Fields.

The torch should be well and truly passed on...

9. Christ RG and ASSE, now I have a lumpy throat and it's got smokey in here...

10. Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
    Sleep sweet — to rise anew!
    We caught the torch you threw
    And holding high, we keep the Faith
    With All who died.

T42

11. Well how do you do, Private William McBride
    Do you mind if I sit here down by your grave side?
    And I'll rest for awhile in the warm summer sun,
    I've been walking all day and I'm nearly done.
    I see by your gravestone you were only 19
    When you joined the glorious fallen in 1916.
    Well I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean
    Or, Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Chorus:
    Did they beat the drum slowly?
    Did they sound the fife lowly?
    Did the rifles fire o'er ye as they lowered you down?
    Did the bugles sing 'The Last Post' in chorus?
    Did the pipes play 'The Flowers o' the Forest'?

And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind?
    In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined
    And though you died back in 1916
    To that loyal heart are you always 19?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name
    Forever enshrined behind some glass-pane
    In an old photograph torn and tattered and stained
    And fading to yellow in a brown leather frame?

Chorus

Well the sun's shining now on these green fields of France,
    The warm wind blows gently and the red poppies dance.
    The trenches are vanished long under the plough
    No gas, and no barbed wire, no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard it's still No Man's Land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand.
    To man's blind indifference to his fellow man
    And a whole generation who were butchered and damned.

Chorus

And I can't help but wonder now Willie McBride
    Do all those who lie here know why they died?
    Did you really believe them when they told you the cause?
    You really believed that this war would end war?
    But the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame -
    The killing and dying - it was all done in vain.
    For Willie McBride, it's all happened again
    And again, and again, and again, and again.

This one gets me every time.

12. One year I will go to London for the parade (sans medals for my own private reasons) to attend the Remembrance Service. I intend to do this as a spectator, to pay my respects to the other guys who have served. But that will be one PROUD day for me. This year I will witness it from my TV in my lounge, no doubt still shedding more than a tear....

13. Went to London for the submarine service centenary and enjoyed it.
    Only downside was the waiting around for the VIPs etc,all the old boys had brought hip flasks with them so after a few hours they didnt care.

Sad note,I ended up dealing with an old para who passed away opposite the cenotaph.Took him to St Thomas hospital in a St Johns ambulance but he died there.
    Sadly none of his mates dropped out to travel with him so we couldnt id him.
    We had a plan that if that happened one of us would stay with the casualty.

14. I live in Scotland and the Poppy is I'm glad to say popular. I had a chat today with an old pal who was selling outside the local Tesco's in Dunblane and he also said it was harder to find people to 'rattle the tin'. I was so taken by that that I decided although still serving to join the Dunblane Branch of the RBL Scotland and do my bit next year and even this year if I have a few hours spare at home. Delighted to see the poppy on show just about everywhere on the Tv. Maybe the public now sees another side of military service with lots of coverage of the plight of wounded service people who are basically being ignored by this government. Today I see another pensioned off young soldier is losing his quarter because he is being medically discharged after being wounded in action - Shame on you Mr Brown!

15. Here in Cyprus, poppies are available in the forces bases, and also in the UKCA (United Kingdom Citizens Association) clubs. All the ex-pats are wearing them with pride, but the locals are more than a little bemused as to what they represent.
    I remember wearing one when I arrived in the States one year too, and the Immigration Officer questioned me as to its purpose.

ps : I like the poppy now adorning everyones avatar - nice thought Admin!

16. The local branch of the RBL have managed to get some boxes around Dubai, got one here last year and as soon as I get my fat arse out of the chair tonight, I'll be buying this years.

17. Obviously none of you lot are as sad as me and watched the television awards during the week.

I think it was a 50 50 split on those wearing and not wearing poppies.

As someone said on the radio during the week, not that I agree with it.

Why did they die? So the rest of us can have a freedom of choice.

18. [email protected] me RG, that had me in tears.....I have saved that one! It's a moving one!

19. For those of us on Facebook you can get Poppies to show on your profile. I've got two, by accident more than by design, one by the RBL and a Canadian version.

PNG