Poo test

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LujonSA, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I received an invitation by letter a few weeks ago to collect from my doctor a kit to test my poo for cancers, etc. It consists of a paper poo catcher that has to be stuck in place over to toilet bowl to catch the poo; a set of spatulas for taking a pair of samples from the collected poo, and a card with three compartments to hold the scrapings. Everyone over 50 years old is being sent these letters and we have to take three sample on either 3 consecutive days or within a period of ten days.

As far as I am aware there was no such scheme running in the UK before I left and I wondered if that has changed or is France ahead of the UK in this respect. I must admit that although it is a little unpleasant diversion to my normal morning routine I find it less daunting than waiting for something nasty to manifest itself and then having a doc ******* my prostrate looking for clues.

I was also told in the invitation letter that 97% will be normal and only 3% will need to be investigated. Wish me luck I will let you know how I get on.
  2. Did mine a few years ago, but that was after I saw my gp for blood in my poo, in my case all clear. Do not think it is the norm in UK?
  3. Think everyone over 60 is now checked, received mine 20 days after 60th birthday.
  4. I've had so many that I've become inured to them. First job on going outside was as a Staff Restaurant Manager in a large midlands food factory. We all had to submit a sample, kit as described by OP was issued with your salary chit every month.
    Then at 68, when I was diagnosed with bowel cancer, I had samples, scrapings, rigid sigmoidoscopies, colonoscopies, MRI scans, CT scans, barium enemas, and everything else stuffed up me jacksie. If I'd have been a brownhatter I'd have been in my element, but I'm not, and so I wasn't. Shortly thereafter they removed the offending organ (rectum), stapled the lower end of my large intestine to the rectal stump, and stuck a bag on the right side of my stomach which meant I had to sit sideways on the loo and squeeze out the contents. Only for six weeks, they said, but then they found "secondaries" which necessitated twenty four weekly sessions of chemotherapy. After that, they couldn't operate for another six weeks, so I learned to live with a bag for nearly a year. After the reversal operation I had to learn how to crap on mains drainage again - not always successfully initially, but after a few months I'd cut it down to about 20 or so visits a day. The next five years was a stimulating round of MRI scans and various pokey type instruments, but eventually they said "You're clear" and left me to my own devices.

Now, ten years later, I'm on 4-6 loperamide (immodium) a day with no effects other than not being able to "strain" - (the appropriate musculature was removed with the tumour) so I just sit there till gravity takes charge, do a lot of sudokus, and thank my lucky stars, an observant GP, and a fantastic team at York Cancer Care Centre, that I'm able to do so.

If you want to know about Sh1t, I'm your man. I've been there, seen it, done it, and cleaned it off almost every surface that I've been in contact with, BUT I'm still here.

So all you good folk who receive these kits - use 'em, and don't be afraid of inspecting your recently produced droppings for any signs of blood. It could give you at least an extra ten years of life.:wave:

PS. I still get a phone call periodically from a Colo-rectal nurse, just to check that I'm OK. Brilliant.

5. wal

wal Badgeman

I had my first three years ago. Comes in the post and one has to shit in one hand and scrape a sample smear on to a card and pop it in the post. So apart from some fresh blood when the farmer Giles play up hopefully all is clear in that department.
    Well that's what my Proctologist (sp) tells me.
  6. Done from the age of 60 , every two years, sent in the post and the result comes through in a couple of weeks.
  7. Good to read that you are back to rude good health, 2BM.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Only difference between the UK and Spain is that we don't get a paper poo catcher, an excellent idea which hopefully catches people with problems at an early stage
  9. About the testing programme mentioned above:

NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme (NHSBCSP)

I ran into someone this morning who is connected to another mens' health charity, co-incidentally and, when I mentioned this thread to him, he suggested that I also add this link, just in case any readers might wish to find out more about something else which affects men:

Prostate Cancer UK - We fight to help men survive and have a better quality of life.

Don't forget too that all gentlemen should be "checking themselves" on a regular basis - more details here:

Testicular Cancer | CHECKEMLADS | HOME | The Testicular Cancer Awareness Site
    • Like Like x 1