Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pongos get a taste of life on board a warship

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hope the Pongoes aboard HMS Ocean are taking their share of communal duties and not expecting Jack to skivvy for them.

Rumrat

War Hero
We had half the "Queens Regiment aboard the Aurora in the gulf in 68.
They corrupted ever so well and had all learnt about the captains table within weeks.
Darn good fellows. One chap pte Peglar was so natural at getting trooped with me, we made him an honorary matelot.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hope the Pongoes aboard HMS Ocean are taking their share of communal duties and not expecting Jack to skivvy for them.

I hope the opposite. I hope they only things they are doing is wanking in their pits and skiffing the matelots cutlery.

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
.....We did special OPS exercises with SBS & SAS separate weeks at sea, to prevent big willey waving at each other......

We did one Ex trip with both sets onboard. They really kept on winding each other up - scarey!! It was a while ago, so maybe that's why you had seperate trips!

Sumo

War Hero
We did one Ex trip with both sets onboard. They really kept on winding each other up - scarey!! It was a while ago, so maybe that's why you had seperate trips!

Would be scary, one thing we submariners agreed on was both sets of specials had a very strange air of confidence about them, which felt like they could do anything they set their minds too, without ever having to say anything, to justify their projected confidence. our Ex was about mid 1990 ish

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Did SF running with both lots off Bermuda although only one lot onboard at a time. One SAS bloke was sat in the mess and said we must all be mad to be on boats, this from a bloke who'd just parachuted into the sea at night and then swum aboard using a fin entry!!! I've never met blokes who could eat so much, there was no chance of going round the bouy at scran time with them onboard!

Sumo

War Hero
Did SF running with both lots off Bermuda!

Typical you get Bermuda, we had Western Approaches, we practiced a fin entry, they come along side to broached fin whilst we are underway, jump from dingy into flooded bridge/Fin, (in the real world they would sink their dingy) then broach until upper lid above water line, 3 -4 specials squeeze into tower airlock and shut upper lid, dive then open lower lid to let them out. Brave, nuts or special????

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The annoying thing about the Bermuda running was we had to spend 10 days alongside and our hotel didn't have a bar....what's that all about! And as for the fin entries, definitely nuts but they enjoyed it.

Sumo

War Hero
The annoying thing about the Bermuda running was we had to spend 10 days alongside and our hotel didn't have a bar....what's that all about! And as for the fin entries, definitely nuts but they enjoyed it.

No Bar! Hope you found somewhere else to spend your subbies

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The drinking dens of Hamilton took care of the subbies, what was left over went on carry-outs as the rooms had a large fridge in them :)

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I flew back to the Falklands in the back of a Herc wiv' a load of Ghurkas and other soldiers once, and spent the entire flight up to and including Ascension Island, kipping in the back of a caravan that the Crab-types had loaded for a certain Mrs Thatcher to reside in when she got there to say BZ to everyone. Nice caravan it was too - but the in-flight dinner was a load of poo.

Ark Royal

For those of us ignorami around, could someone please explain what a fin entry is? I'm assuming that is is entering the submarine via the fin while under way, but could someone please give more details?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
For those of us ignorami around, could someone please explain what a fin entry is? I'm assuming that is is entering the submarine via the fin while under way, but could someone please give more details?

With a question like that as your first post, I reckon it will be a resounding NO!

Stirling

Banned
Did SF running with both lots off Bermuda although only one lot onboard at a time. One SAS bloke was sat in the mess and said we must all be mad to be on boats, this from a bloke who'd just parachuted into the sea at night and then swum aboard using a fin entry!!! I've never met blokes who could eat so much, there was no chance of going round the bouy at scran time with them onboard!

With what they get up to on ops 'eat every meal as if it's your last' is probably the order of the day.

45 commando rm1964 tanganika

trelawney126

War Hero
There is nothing secretive about a "Fin" entry at sea. Quite simply there are two methods, the first is the simplest as the diver has an abundance of oxygen as he/ she uses a snorkel device about fifty to one hundred feet in length, the second is the self contained diver who uses the oxygen tanks.
the divers, after completing their mission, swim underwater at a predetermined distance and depth using an underwater type of Tom Tom GPS. The boat detailed to pick up the divers follows them and scoops them up into the forward torpedo tubes, feet first. Hence the term " Fin entry" as the divers wear swimming fins. Proper SBS / SAS chaps can be identified by a code written in indelible coloured ink on their Fins.
should the diver miss he can use the rear tube, if he can swim fast enough to catch the boat up. I do know of several divers who have managed to "Catch the boat up" which proves that it can be done.
I do hope this clarifies the situation for you

Rumrat

War Hero
There is nothing secretive about a "Fin" entry at sea. Quite simply there are two methods, the first is the simplest as the diver has an abundance of oxygen as he/ she uses a snorkel device about fifty to one hundred feet in length, the second is the self contained diver who uses the oxygen tanks.
the divers, after completing their mission, swim underwater at a predetermined distance and depth using an underwater type of Tom Tom GPS. The boat detailed to pick up the divers follows them and scoops them up into the forward torpedo tubes, feet first. Hence the term " Fin entry" as the divers wear swimming fins. Proper SBS / SAS chaps can be identified by a code written in indelible coloured ink on their Fins.
should the diver miss he can use the rear tube, if he can swim fast enough to catch the boat up. I do know of several divers who have managed to "Catch the boat up" which proves that it can be done.
I do hope this clarifies the situation for you

I always thought a fin entry was when one submariner slipped his oppo a fin ($5.00) to ram his rear poop tube. I didn't realise they could get their feet in as well.
Suppose with their little cocks they would need to.:evil2:=)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wet_blobby They wonder why we call them Pongos..... Diamond Lil's 11
scouse Pongos refused a drink Diamond Lil's 59
W Another 5000 Pongos for early axe Current Affairs 2
W Admirals bluffed by the pongos? Current Affairs 28
T Playstations to be used to train Pongos!!! Diamond Lil's 4
wet_blobby Pongos to the rescue.......... The Corps 7
soleil Get a Taste for the Royal Naval Reserve - Video Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
soleil This Is The West Country: "Flying Visit Gives Pupils A Taste Of Life In The Navy" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy reservists taste life at sea MoD News 0
soleil Bolton News: "Flying Ace’s Beer Passes Taste Test!" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Herald: "Schoolchildren To Get A Taste Of Life In The Navy" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Pompey News: "Horndean Students Get A Taste Of What It’s Like In The Royal Marines" The Corps 2
F Bad taste, or just a bit of fun ? Diamond Lil's 8
SONAR-BENDER Trying to re-create a taste of 'The Old Navy' at home The Gash Barge 11
soleil Herald: "Pupils get taste of life under the sea" Submariners 1
soleil Navy News: "Cadets get a taste of life in the Royal Navy" SCC and URNU 0
H taste of own medicine? Current Affairs 2
bigbaddog Bad Taste/Tone Deaf? The Gash Barge 44
W a question of taste Diamond Lil's 20
MoD_RSS Transition period: letter to the life sciences sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM hails ‘herculean effort’ of life science companies to defeat coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dominic Raab urges world not to “turn away from Rohingya’s suffering” as the UK pledges life-saving support MoD News 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
J Couple Of Questions About Life in RFA RFA 2
MoD_RSS Committee on Standards in Public Life announces landscape review of public standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New £3.3 million fund to give babies from deprived areas or BAME backgrounds the best start in life MoD News 0
Dredd Light of life Blue Jokes 0
MoD_RSS UK scientists help NASA answers the questions, 'was there life on Mars?' MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
G Life on aircraft carriers and suitability assessment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Life on a submarine? Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Life cover for frontline health workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Committee on Standards in Public Life announces review of electoral regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £22 million awarded to life-saving health charities during virus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DFID support for partners to deliver life-saving programmes MoD News 0
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
MoD_RSS MHRA approves new life-saving breathing aid to help keep coronavirus (COVID-19) patients out of intensive care MoD News 0
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
MoD_RSS Life on marsh in A585 bypass exhibition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adding years to life and life to years: our plan to increase healthy longevity MoD News 0
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Twitter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Facebook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: letters from Google MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding scheme supports purchase of life-saving safety equipment for fishermen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving complacency: 74% of drivers would risk life in flood water MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kingdom Life Ministries inquiry: Charity trustees disqualified after unauthorised payments of over £450k and cash withdrawals of over £700k MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS Intimidation in Public Life: Letter to political parties on election pledge MoD News 0