Poms or Kippers?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by canteenflat, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now the Aussies are in denial over the Ashes, have they resorted to calling us Kippers rather than Poms?

The Far East Fleet's messdecks would once have resounded with this piece of doggerel--"Was it an Aussie a Kiwi or Kipper that damned elusive phantom flipper?" It was invariably the ship's Chancre Bos'n or Coder(Ed) Or, if you were lucky, both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Kipper.....being.....Two-faced and gutless?

3. Rather worse. Yellow, two-faced and gutless

4. Plus the smell, mustn't forget that.

5. Here on the other side of the pond, we in the Canadian Navy have affectionately referred to those of the RN as "Kippers" for many, many years. Not really heard outside of naval circles, though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. I'll give you the drum mate, I recon you's are being handed a furphy.
    When I grew up in Oz, a "kipper" was an expression used to describe a young Abo lad, or someone usually a youth who could not/ would not leave the parental home.
    I always thought a kipper was a British slang term for a matelot, used by the brown boys.

7. Abo? Brown Boys? They'll be sending Harriet 'round to give you a good seein' to.

8. Bad feet were always referred to as Dodgy Kippers!

9. If they send Harriet round it might not be me who gets the seeing to, being among other things a tart, I deffo would probe her kipper.^^^^:happy8:

10. Kipper?

I always thought that was a Spithead Pheasant?

Pom?

Surely that was Pussers Powdery Stuff predating:

<<...ha ha ha ....little knives....primitive people.....ha ha ha ....>> YouTube - SMASH MASH ADVERT

??Confused of Corsham??

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The RAN cadets (uncouth lot) who joined up with us in 1955 always referred to us RNs as 'kippers'. Never did know why.