Pompey News: "What Heroic Feat Did A Petty Officer Perform?"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Mar 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That is very interesting, i wonder what happened there then? It will be great if his daughter gets the answers shes looking for, good luck to her.

2. The linked article says his son has his medals, and the whole tone of the article suggests some sort of gallantry, but I can find no mention of this chap in the London Gazette.

3. Owing to time constraints I'm disinclined to get involved; but perhaps someone (Soliel ?) could draw the News journalist's/that family's attention to the HMS SOLEBAY's Association???

A quick look at their website, Solebay Association Pages , indicates a membership of 300 SOLEBAYs with their next re-union in May.

4. Good suggestion, Bob.

I have actually been in touch with the journalist today, largely to suggest that PO Cornish's daughter make a formal application for his Service Record using the correct forms and via the normal route.

I haven't heard back from him yet, but when I do, I shall tell him about the HMS Solebay Association.

In the meantime, I have found PO Cornish's passing listed on Naval History as follows:

Thursday, 11 February 1960

Solebay

CORNISH, William T, Cook, MX 58341, died

5. Maralinga ?

6. Hit the nail right on the head...

7. No mystery, I'm afraid. He was not a Petty officer - he was a 3 badge Cook (S). Taken ill with a chest infection in Singapore which worsened by the time the ship reached Melbourne. He was put ashore to hospital, where he died. The funeral was standard full military honours (I often witnessed the band with muffled drums, gun carriage, guard with arms reversed, etc in HMS DRAKE in the 50's - 60's), The presence of senior officers was quite normal, too. His messmates say he was a popular man, and was very family oriented. The sale of effects (in the ship, not around the fleet as reported in the article) raised quite a bit of money.

The problem the family has had getting service records is because they went about it the wrong way. Telephoning Admiralty doesn't work - they have to contact the RN Disclosure Cell on Whale Island. And of course asking for Petty Officer Cornish wouldn't help.

I've communicated this to the newspaper and to the family. (I'm chairman of the HMS SOLEBAY Association)

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks for that Scribes always nice to see the end result

9. This is good news and intresting, it has been something i have thought about after reading the article when first posted, im sure your help was well apreciated, thanks for the update.

10. I am also pleased to hear that the family now have the full truth. BZ to both Soliel and Scribes for their efforts.:thumright:

It would seem that this News reporter is not quite ready to venture into 'Investigative Journalism'......

11. In one way I'm sorry that the answer is so prosaic. It unfortunately bursts a few bubbles. Incidentally I posted the information to the author of the article and got no response.

12. I hope that the family have at least acknowledged your information, Scribes?

If not PM me. I live in P'mouth and I might be able to close the loop.

Bob

13. On looking back to the News article, I imagine that the 'Petty Officer' confusion would have arisen from that photograph: Showing Ck (S) Cornish wearing the single-breasted S & S fore-and-aft rig (with that red cap badge, as worn by Art Apps).

In 1960, that rig was still being worn by some of that ilk, but I cannot recall the compulsory chop date for all S&S to become dressed as seamen/milk-churns (square rigged).

Bob

14. From Bob Hind's 'Remember When' page in the weekend supplement of today's Pompey News:

15. 2BM would be the authority on that Bob.

16. NG

Thank you so much for that, I hadn't seen it.

In that case, Rum Ration may be getting a mention in the Pompey News then, as I got in touch with Bob Hind just after I started this thread.

17. That would be great, will be good to see what is written in the update.