Pompey News: "Weary Portsmouth Sailors Found Peace And Tombola In China Fleet Club"

soleil

War Hero
ChinaFleetClubHK.jpg

"During respites in the bitterly fought wars of the last century many Royal Navy personnel made the most of whatever down time they had and in the seas around China they could do so in style.

Here is a photograph of one of the most iconic buildings ever to be visited by members of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

It is the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong.

Is there any long-serving ex-matelot in the city who didn’t visit the club at least once and play the forever popular tombola?"

Weary Portsmouth sailors found peace and tombola in China Fleet Club - Portsmouth News

slim

War Hero
The China Fleet Club was owned by the RN Ratings. Officers had no say in the running of the club.
So why when it was sold did it re-open in the West Country as an ALL ranks club?
Why is it open to civillians?
It should have been sold and the money raised divided equally between ALL serving ratings.
Wonder just what the percentage of RN Ratings to others is these days?

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
A few years ago I tried to find the Constitution of the China Fleet Club when it was moved from Hong Kong. I didn't succeed. It would make interesting reading how the decisions were made, and by whom, to build over in Saltash where it is not so easy for 'Jack' to just roll up for an evenings entertainment. A good nosh, a few beers, a few games of Tombola and a bed for the night...within striking distance of the dockyard.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I never bothered going for membership when I went outside as it seemed o be over run with civvies.

I used to go all the time when it first opened as it was a good crack, even had my youngest son's christening party there. It seems to me to be a civvy club now with jack as a sideline but that's just my opinion.

Having said that, in their defence, it has to be run as a business these days with the numbers in the fleet rapidly declining.

jesse

War Hero
View attachment 10579

"During respites in the bitterly fought wars of the last century many Royal Navy personnel made the most of whatever down time they had and in the seas around China they could do so in style.

Here is a photograph of one of the most iconic buildings ever to be visited by members of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

It is the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong.

Is there any long-serving ex-matelot in the city who didn’t visit the club at least once and play the forever popular tombola?"

Weary Portsmouth sailors found peace and tombola in China Fleet Club - Portsmouth News
I feel the same pricking behind my eyeballs that makes my eyes to water as I get when I hear The Sunset Hymn. All this nostalgia just ain't wot it used to be.

8 years in the RN and the only time I have ever been to the China Fleet was when I was a sprog in Raleigh. Seems like too much effort to get across the bridge (especially as I can't drive) when I can use the facilities of my camp / Drake / town and to be honest I thought it was a civvy club, just with membership for matelots and a navy sounding name.

barny006

War Hero
I was serving in HK on Hms Swallow when the announcement was made and the suggestion was a club in the Lake district. But the admiral in charge wanted a golf club in the west country.

Sumo

War Hero
Same as WreckerL I used to use when first opened, but became more and more civy
It was also a 25 mile round trip so a bit far when I am passing gyms with similar prices as I am not interested in the Golf side of membership.

I recently checked and ex or serving singles do not get much discount, best discount is for a couple?
Ex-Serving Non Commission RN/RM & Serving Commissioned RN/RM
Annual Monthly
Single £555.50 £50.50
Single off peak £363.00 £33.00
Couple £797.50 £72.50
Couple off peak £522.50 £47.50
Pay as you Go
Single £220.00 £20.00
Single off peak £170.50 £15.50
Couple £231.00 £21.00
Couple off peak £192.50 £17.00

Country Club Civy price
Full Leisure
Annual Monthly
Single £594.00 £54.00
Single off peak £429.00 £39.00
Couple £957.00 £87.00
Couple off peak £594.00 £54.00
Pay as you Play
Single £374.00 £34.00
Single off peak £236.50 £21.50
Couple £440.00 £40.00
Couple off peak £275.00 £25.00

Last edited:

finknottle

Banned
It was my first port of call for a bit of cheap pre-loading before heading off down Lockhart Road to sample the delights on offer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Pompey News: "We’re On A Roll! Bands Of Royal Marines Hope To Clinch New Record" The Corps 1
soleil Pompey News: "Prince William To Visit Gosport’s Newly-restored HMS Alliance" Submariners 4
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Drills Help England Women’s Rugby Squad" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Pompey News: "Portsmouth Soldiers Will Join Final Deployment To Afghanistan" Current Affairs 0
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Aviators Reach Career Milestones On Same Day" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "New Captain Speaks Of Pride After Taking The Helm Of HMS Warrior" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Concern Over Portsmouth Power Supply Ahead Of Warships Arrival" Bases / Shore Est 13
soleil Pompey News: "When The Boys From The Black Squad Came Up For A Smoke" History 1
soleil Pompey News: "1SL Warns That The Royal Navy Faces Losing Its Credibility" The Fleet 5
soleil Pompey News: "Gosport Sailor Freed From Prison Over Gun Drama On Ship" The Fleet 29
soleil Pompey News: "More Than 1,500 Military Jobs To Be Lost" Current Affairs 5
soleil Pompey News: "End Of An Era As Last Surviving Wren Leaves HMS Sultan Naval Branch" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Admiral Backs Plan For Future Of Portsmouth’s Shipyard Operation" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Pompey News: "Further Cuts To The Navy Will Make Us Laughing Stock" The Fleet 1
soleil Pompey News: "Home At Last! HMS Illustrious Returns To Portsmouth Today" The Fleet 38
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Naval Medic Becomes The First To Pass Diver Course" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "New Naval Officer Can’t Wait For First Job Guiding Warship" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "New Man Takes Over As Top Warrant Officer" Bases / Shore Est 13
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Shadows Russian Warship Off Scottish Coast" The Fleet 45
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Ship Will Guard Removal Of Chemical Stockpile From Syria" The Fleet 3
soleil Pompey News: "It’s A Knockout! Navy Sailors Battle It Out In A Fun Fitness Challenge" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Shipyard Suffers Knock-Back Over Warship Repairs" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Pompey News: "Date Set For HMS Dragon’s Return To Portsmouth" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Jobs At Risk At Portsmouth Shipyard" Bases / Shore Est 45
soleil Pompey News: "Time To Be Called At Naval Favourite Ruby’s" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Pompey News: "Third Frigate Leaves Portsmouth For The Scrapyard" The Fleet 4
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Marines Museum To Be Moved To New Home In Dockyard" The Corps 5
soleil Pompey News: "Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane? Well, Sort Of ...." The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Protector Moved From Portsmouth To Devonport" The Fleet 13
soleil Pompey News: "Award For Policewoman Who Saved Royal Navy Sailor" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Pompey News: "Joy As HMS Victory Gets £5m Boost" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Scheme Aims To Get Navy Mums Back To Their Jobs" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "It's The Historic Duckyard!" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Ark Royal To Leave Portsmouth For Scrapyard" The Fleet 43
soleil Pompey News: "Marine Fined For Uniform Offence" The Corps 26
soleil Pompey News: "Simulator Puts Pilots Into The Flying Seat For Fighter Jet Training" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Pompey News: "Navy’s Top Brass Bid A Fond Farewell To Dedicated Secretary" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Duncan Prepares For Portsmouth Arrival" The Fleet 5
soleil Pompey News: "Thai Prince Hunts For Clues To Ancestor’s Past In Portsmouth" History 0
soleil Pompey News: "Reservists Show Their Bosses The Ropes On Warship" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
soleil Pompey News: "Jeremy Clarkson Filming Arctic Convoys Documentary" The Fleet 7
soleil Pompey News: "21-Gun Salute To Mark Anniversary Of Queen’s Reign" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil Pompey News: "New Boss For The Royal Navy" The Fleet 5
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Memorial room recognises fallen Royal Marines musicians" The Corps 0
soleil Pompey News: "UK May Collaborate 
With Australia For New Frigate Design" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Brainbox Up For Top Engineering Award" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Pompey News: "Good To Go! New Carrier Island Looks The Part" The Fleet 10
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Photographer’s Extra Job In Les Mis" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Frigates Could See A New Lease Of Life As Artificial Reefs" The Fleet 13
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Recruits Empty Cupboards For The Homeless" Bases / Shore Est 0