Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension misery"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by sgtpepperband, Apr 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

As opposed to "Veterans anger at waste of public cash employing person to tell him no increase when an answerphone message could have done the same thing at a fraction of the cost"....

3. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

QUOTE The message advises callers that because the retail price index has been negative in the last year - which means the cost of living has dropped - the pension is not increasing. :oops: Surely the rise is set at one given months RPI INDEX, Like for most pensions??? December 2.4% 2010, Previous rises were 0.9% 3.0% 3.0% 2.2% 2.8 % etc, not exceeding 5.0%under most pension rules?? in excess of GMP which is increased by the state ( where relevant)

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

The pension scheme rate rise is based on September's headline RPI rate and applied in April as explained in the pension scheme booklet, unfortunately September's RPI rate was -1.4% according the Office of National Statistics so 0% isn't unfair (although it may seem so given that it's now sat around 3.7%) I'm pretty sure that all pension schemes base their annual uplift on the September figure because historically (and for some pretty basic economic reasons) it tends to be amongst the lowest months of the year. Swings and roundabouts really I seem to remember that last years increase was in the region of 5% :wink:

5. As opposed to: common decency would state a letter could be sent out instead of making people find out by mistake by an impersonal answering machine message.

6. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

So when was this as my pension has gone up and by quite a substantial amount. He needs to see the paperwork that shows no raise.

7. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

In the meantime, in the House of Common Theft, food and drink prices are capped at about 5% (it seems a pint of Lager costs approx £1), so could this be a reason that we retirees aren't getting a pension rise ?

:evil:

(Note to self, check Mrs WM civil service pension .... !!)

8. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

The price of a pint of lager in many private clubs and bars around the country is around £1 (the Commons bars cost about £1.30). How much do you guys pay for a pint in the NAAFI bars?

I don't see the connection with pensions i'm afraid.

9. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

Not serving now, and can't afford the 'private' clubs in the Smoke, cheapest I've found around my area is Lloyd's No 1 Bar at around £2.70.

And it was meant to be a tongue in cheek response ..... didn't do to well, did I ? ;)

:p

10. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

It was around that cost when I went to HMS Collingwood for an acquaint. Even cheaper at sea apparently!

Regarding the pensions, if it's RPI linked it's RPI linked. Not much that can be done about that. Perhaps a shame there's no personal touch, but that costs money.

11. :wink: Very much agreed with your last. Mine is RPI for December, every year and administrated by Capita Hartshead by letter every March, for the April Increase, cant fault them.

12. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

MOD DELETION

Non contributory dribbling from a badged O2 thief

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

Needs to see the paperwork? I found this without any bother From the 2010 newsletter I'd be surprised if Mr Moore is not in receipt of a hard copy being a pensioner.

Mr Moore may be cut from the same cloth as the professional offence takers; gypsies offended by being accused of being thieves when caught in the act, poofs offended by a B&B's owner, survivors/relatives of victims of some event being offended by a film about some similar event (especially on an anniversary) and militant Muslims offended by everything.

Recorded messages and push the hash key instructions are annoying but so are people who think they deserve the personal touch for something that doesn't even warrant a recorded message. See link.

14. Re: Pompey News: "Veteran's anger at answerphone pension mis

I have no problem with the lack of increase that's the way it is, anyway for the pittance it would have been I could hardly go out and buy another Series 5 BM. :)

15. Perhaps he should try listening to the radio and TV. There were enough programmes on around last September explaining why this would be the case. In the same way, I cannot understand the outrage of all the people who have complained about no increase in serps. It was explained that there would be an increase in BASIC pension of 2.5%, as was promised would be the minimum some years ago. Some years we dip out, some years we dip in. That's life in a grey suit!

2BM