Pompey News: "Royal Navy Officer Guilty Of Misusing His Government Credit Card"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Mar 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Be interesting to see what his 'sentence' is!

2. Yeah bet he is terrified. If I had abused my GPC I would have been strung up!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. He'll probably get a slap on the wrist & promoted rather than kicked outside via Colchester!
  4. In Big And Expensive we were all given American Excuse as a company card (I actually refused the 'kind' offer). One guy was hauled over the coals becuase he had the temerity to buy a Mars Bar when he was paying for the hire car fuel.

PS Anyone tried to buy a meal in the local greasy spoon or Indian using American Excuse? Won't happen!
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

"Administrative Error" - bollocks. As a relatively savvy individual Andy should have know better than to try this kind of game. He is far from stupid and deserves everything he gets, he's broken a simple rule and been dishonest, deserves a custodial sentence then to be dismissed with his reputation shredded, if not it sends a message to other people that its ok to try it on.
  6. The word idiot comes to mind.
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I know that I'm an old bugger but can anyone tell me why these credit cards are given out ?
  8. As someone who actually knows Andy and has served on board two war canoes with him I can honestly say that I am absolutely shocked by this. This is completely out of character for him. Obviously I'm not, and never have been, privy to the information that the court has, but I am very, very surprised at this. Away from the subject slightly; the most competent PWO I've ever worked with and a real asset to the RN. I really hope they keep hold of him.
  9. Im not sure if there trying to cut people in his branch and rank. If they are he looks like a good candidate from the MODs point of view.
  10. For GBP 2 k or less they should just fine him --- being sent to an American Base and possibly having cash flow problems
    and being given a UK Gov credit card I could quite possibly believe the guy . However he should have contacted his paying
    office to possibly explain instead of being .".found out" during accounting procedures.

11. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Theft is theft - he knew the responsibilites when he signed for the card. Dismissal should be an obvious conclusion and if he escapes the BIg House he will be a lucky chap
  12. If he is lucky he will be dealt with the same way our glorious civil servants and MPs were when they were caught out using a govt credit card for similar (and even more obvious scams) spends...
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

MP's, civil servants, hell, unelected and unaccountable fcukwits on quangos or spin doctors spend shitloads loads of taxpayers money on dodgy shit. Trouble is they dont suffer the same scrutiny as your average mere matelot.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Granny, as everyone else is ignoring you, I'm guessing that its to pay for legitimate expenses to save having to pay out of your own pocket and then claim back from pusser.
  15. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

GPC (credit cards) are used to buy things as an efficient means of payment and for most services and goods often the only way.

In the old days you would get subs or advance of pay say for hotels or hire cars. However these days even if you stump cash they will want a credit card for security. Why should people be expected to use their own cards when they could get one signed out.
  16. You still can, easily. Up to 80% IIRC.
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I know but I have found that you then have to use your own card to pay for it/security and then there is a charge against the card that can affect the spending limit.

Also it is a pain getting the money, then paying, then having to claim. I got fed up of having to use my credit card all the time so I just signed one out.
  18. From our point of view we used our GPC for various payments- hotel for 12 team members in Goa, kit for the team (though that was sanctioned by the lovely SEO), food if you're on the road and can't get back to a base unit (though not often) etc etc. However use it to buy fuel for one of the wagons and not use your shell card you got hammered at the audit. For some reason that was the admins big bug bear.

Basicly Granny it is a Barclaycard with ours having a £5000 limit. The bill came to FDG each month and EVERY item was scrutinised, so how any pratt thought they could get away with spending on it is beyond me.

I am sure people use GPC's for other reasons but that is pretty much how we did it.
  19. Utter ******* cock dribble. Kick the prick out. When you get issued your GPC you feel like a thief the way they brief you on it. Like a muppet I never used mine for ages and used my own money as I am not a credit card fan and prefered to keep the balance at zero and no spending on it on my behalf.

Zero sympathy, he knew exactly what he was doing when he spent on, bet he thought he was across the pond and Jack the lad.
    • Like Like x 3