Pompey News: "Royal Marines Museum To Be Moved To New Home In Dockyard"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Oct 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Be good to have perhaps a permanent exhibition in one of the Boathouses perhaps, but to have the museum in its entirety move seems a shame. People barely have time to explore the dockyard as it is and it will be a loss to its current location. Makes sense in another way i suppose; most visitors for obvious reasons head to the dockyard which in turn should increase visitor numbers.

Only reason is that from my experience working there people on the whole come to see the ships, even though the RN museum and the Trafalgar Sail exhibition etc are really good, people don't seem to be as drawn to them when other things deemed by many as more exciting are so close by. If it moves more people may have a quick gander, but whether people will spend as much time enjoying it and exploring everything is debatable. Entry to the dockyard is also expensive...even when the run the half price entry with a library card, free entry to certain attractions for serving members of the armed forces and their families, for most its pricey. You can use the ticket over the year but especially if travelling that is not a great pull.

I only added that second bit as i realised my comment could be seen as though i thought the RM museum wasn't worth moving and being included in the dockyard, but thats not the case at all :p

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. Fekin 'bean counters', so that will be the end of the remembrance service that is held in front of the museum every year?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)