Pompey News: "Navy Launches Its Own Toy Type 45 Destroyer""

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How many have you ordered Sol?
  2. Airfix have jumped on the Type 45 bandwagon. they be releasing a kit of their own next year. I might get that, I am into modelmaking, especially model ships
  3. Them Matelots standing on the deck look a tad large :)
  4. Seeing the new Airfix model Type 45 reminded me of this thread, so I thought I would revive it, just in case any Rum Rationers are doing any last-minute shopping for something similar for a youngster, as the Airfix model is far too complex for a little one.

The standard price for this is around £50, but it seems to be available via Amazon for £28.99.

(Edited to say that the price via Amazon has increased since my original post).

It would make a lovely Christmas gift for someone small.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Unfortunately, my grandson's still too young for this.

Oh, sod it! There's no harm in hanging on to it until he's ready, is there?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

There was a TV show (Sky?) a few years back which was about model building. They had a large project on the go (Aircraft carrier?) which they would work on and visit other model makers who built all sorts of stuff.

Good show which I think funnily enough was called 'models (which attracted me in the first place).
  7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In an ideal world she would have liked 14, but then decided that she could make do with 8. Unfortunately she could only afford 6...........
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Hmmm, I'm expecting the arrival of my first grandchild in January and been told it's going to be a boy, wonder if I'd get away with getting him-to-be that :)
  9. A good warning to the dabbers, then.

I wonder if that will be blamed on the MoD?

It's a shame that it's taken the ugliest RN Class for years for Airfix to be interested in making a kit for it.
  10. I am proud to say that I have one of these in my office to help "Navy-up" an otherwise very Army atmosphere!
  11. The child's one or the Airfix one?
  12. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You can buy one and put it through BOST with my little man then when your LM is old enough you can have what's left back!!
  13. The I can't believe its not Lego one...
  14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This thread has reminded me of toy ships I had when I was very small - and a hands-on lesson in physics when the metal submarine failed to surface in the garden pond.
  15. Those do appeal as the father-to-be was a wafu but I don't want to give wifey any more ideas. Herself and Mum-to-be are already off to Exeter next week on a buggy/pushchair/moses basket etc shopping spree.

God knows how much that lot is going to cost me :(

Still, next year should be interesting, I've already been told he's too young for the scalextric I've prepped ready for use :)