Pompey News: "Marine Fined For Uniform Offence"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Apr 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here in the "colonies" we call that Stolen Valor and it is punishable by brig time, fines, and getting your arse hung out to dry! Nothing lower or more despicable than someone that has to "pump" themselves up to impress others...no self-esteem at all!

2. Can't be that big a deal as he's since been promoted.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Facts NOT Disclosed

The man in question was reccommended for the Military Cross after OP TELIC 12 ( his 3rd tour in theatre) Funny all the s..t about medals and NONE of THIS was mentioned in his defence! There are always 2 sides to a debate! I don't know which colony you come from (and I don't even care) but yet again the man in question spent 3 months in OZ last year on Operation Longreach and had a hoofing time. As an x matelot (40 years time served) we would never have passed a kit muster unless oppo's chipped in with missing items of kit; neither would we have passed the OOD's inspection to get ashore unless the odd white front had been borrowed. I went to a wedding in 1969 in a suit I borrowed off my run ashore mate because mine was with the chinky tailor being repaired. The £ 300 fine is nothing in todays scale of punishment, which to my mind endorses the triviality of the offence!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say, whilst I abhor "Walts" and don't condone people claiming undeserved glory, this particular incident should never, ever have seen the light of day in public, let alone at a Courts Martial.

For starters he's now a Sergeant anyway, he's served operationally with distinction, continues to serve and the fact he "embellished" his status at the time of his wedding is, to my mind, completely forgivable and actually rather funny. In fact I always thought humour was something the Corps valued highly and the Mob was piss-poor at, certainly at the higher levels.

What worries me is some complete dick took it upon themselves to publicly prosecute someone at huge public expense, brought the service into disrepute in doing so, and has probably never heard a bloody shot fired in anger themselves...now that is what makes me angry.

All that was needed was a kick ***********, a dead leg and a chinese burn, FFS.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is so much of this walt crap going on these days it's becoming boring. Johnson Beharry VC was one up at his wedding and i can't see any toys being thrown there. The type of person crying walt these days is usually some sort of never served twat or have served twat but did nothing spectacular ever, not even a promotion because they were so shit.

Is Matthew Hopkins Minister of Defence or is it 2013?

6. There has to be more underlying in this story, unless Joe and Dozzer have undergone personality transplants. Ninja is right £300 quid is bugger all. feels like a case of a "make an example of him" debacle, Joe having a word should have been enough.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unless he exercised his right to elect for CM..? :wink:

8. Bugger, good point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have served with the accused and thought he was a top bloke. I first saw this story when it was posted on a 'Walter mitty hunters' club on Facebook which was bang out of order in my eyes. I also think the press have done a good job in twisting the story so there seems to be more to the situation than there actually was. He's borrowed an oppos uniform to attend a 'private' function and has been grassed on by some knob head. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion and should never have gone to the papers. He's defiantly not a 'Walt', he's done more in his career than most!

Peel it back, make it sick!

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Without highlighting the specifics of the case, the offence was contrary to the Armed Forces Act, and thus dealt with through the disciplinary process (and thus, unable to dealt with administratively at a local level). If the Accused exercised his right to CM, I would imagine he did so on good advice, if all "points to prove" could not be proven. I think the relatively light punishment awarded would indicate how serious the Board felt about the matter.

11. The Choice

The man in question chose a Courts Martial because had he taken Summary Punishment he would "Have been "BUSTED" for being RTU'd from a SNCO's Course (drink related) an almost unheard of offence I'm led to believe. The CO of 40 Cdo was in the words of Queen Vic " NOT AMUSED" Hence some sound legal eagle advice to go for a CM as was his rights.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The same group where it was proved the main admin was himself a walt. Those sad fucks have nothing better to do. I remember they posted a picture of Prince Edward and the reaction they got was not what they expected. The back peddling was not particularly impressive either.

13. Sorry Barney, you have lost me here, he would have been "BUSTED" (from what to what) by the CO for being RTU'd from a SNCO's course (SCC, 1's or some other?) because of borrowing a rig, and not the drink related case, surely two separtate issues, and not one charge?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ExMMM, I don't think anyone here (apart from the Colonial, and they don't really count! ;)) has even considered it a "walt" issue, why on earth would we?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Silly lad, slapped wrist, carry on with career.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It reminds me of a genuine incident during a "Clear Lower Deck" on HMS Argonaut in late 1982 where the Captain got us all together to announce proudly he had been awarded a DSO. "It is not just for me" he said "It belongs to everyone on HMS Argonaut during the conflict".

"Can I borrow it for my sisters wedding?" Chirped up one of my fellow stokers. Much hilarity to diffuse the sentiment of the otherwise hacked-off ships company, back in refit.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Options

After being " Off Loaded " from the SNCO's Course at CTCRM the accused was reverted back to CPL from Act Sgt. Had he taken Summary punishment when the wrong rig issue came to light ,there was every chance ivo The HDS that was flying about, he would have been busted back to a Marine. With another SNCO's Course already allocated he would have been a real merchant banker not to heed the very sound advice he was given by his council. Whatever the thoughts, right or wrong; he still has 3 stripes, and a job he loves. Be well. Barney Ruubble

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

....that was repeated around the fleet as often as the one about the USN sailor turning up at the RN warship gangway looking for his debtor, Harry Skinters.