Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Pompey News: "Jobs At Risk At Portsmouth Shipyard"

I think the other argument for the Clyde over Pompey is that the Clyde already has all the facilities to build and launch relatively large platforms (FF/DD and bigger) where all Pompey has done recently has been OPVs and sections of bigger ships.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Pompey has built four ships since 1960 - Rhyl, Sirius, Andromeda and ironically Clyde. Andromeda was launched in 1967, Clyde in 2006 and barely counts as a warship anyway. So in the 70s, 80s and 90s there will no warships built in Pompey. Hardly a centre of expertise then, is it?

Could all be good news for Barrow if Scotland goes independent. Surely would be cheaper to have one yard than two in Barrow/Portsmouth. Plus much closer for all the immigrant jocks who would be needed to come and build anything.

I've just been watching the local (Meridian) news and then ITN - what a load of bollix they are talking - the end of 800 years of ship building in Portsmouth. If the researchers researched then they'd see that ship building and NOT ship module construction ended in Pompey 40 odd years ago if not more. All the bits that are being built in Pompey are then barged to (for the 45s Scotstoun and Govan) Rosyth for final assembly.

I've just been watching the local (Meridian) news and then ITN - what a load of bollix they are talking - the end of 800 years of ship building in Portsmouth. If the researchers researched then they'd see that ship building and NOT ship module construction ended in Pompey 40 odd years ago if not more. All the bits that are being built in Pompey are then barged to (for the 45s Scotstoun and Govan) Rosyth for final assembly.

Not a very big ship but HMS Clyde was 2006 and i think the Trinidadian navy had some after that.

danny, not quite true. BVT built some OPV's for the Trinidadian navy, similar to the River Class, we even went so far as to train their navy up by taking them to sea on our River Class, but they rejected the ships at the 11th hour IIRC. I don't think all of the 3 that they ordered were built in Pompey either, 1 or 2 were built on the Clyde (river not the ship) I think. Someone else bought them after Trin and Tobago pulled out, Brazil I'm thinking???? Either way, my mate lost out on a great jolly being the BVT rep in T&T as their ship manager!!

danny, not quite true. BVT built some OPV's for the Trinidadian navy, similar to the River Class, we even went so far as to train their navy up by taking them to sea on our River Class, but they rejected the ships at the 11th hour IIRC. I don't think all of the 3 that they ordered were built in Pompey either, 1 or 2 were built on the Clyde (river not the ship) I think. Someone else bought them after Trin and Tobago pulled out, Brazil I'm thinking???? Either way, my mate lost out on a great jolly being the BVT rep in T&T as their ship manager!!

It was indeed Brazil: Amazonas, Apa and Araguari but only Amazonas (ex-Trinidad & Tobago Port of Spain) was built at Portsmouth.

However, all three of the Royal Navy of Oman's Khareef class corvettes (Al-Shamikh, Al-Rahmani and Al-Rasikh) have been built at Portsmouth.

It was indeed Brazil: Amazonas, Apa and Araguari but only Amazonas (ex-Trinidad & Tobago Port of Spain) was built at Portsmouth.

Ah! Trinidad and Tobago. Now they know how to write a contract. BAE (BVT, FSL) miss some key milestones and the contract says the buyer can walk away. So, having a new government who didn't want the boats, that's what they did. Wish I could have seen the looks on the faces of the management then. Off course the T&T guys got the money for the boats from the yanks who then said if you ain't having the boats can we have our money back please. Doesn't stop the fact that we need their lawyers writing our contracts.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Sad as these job losses are it's a wonder we still build any ships in the UK, if you've been watching the building of the Mersk triple E container ship "the largest ever built" in South Korea, it was completed from keel laying to launch in 28 weeks & well under budget, they are constructing a further 19 alongside their other existing orders.

It's a sure fire thing that if the new type 26's ever get the go-ahead they won't be built in UK/EU yards, & with the continual cost increases & time overruns why should the UK tax payers keep bailing the UK shipyards/workers out.

BAES/Qinetiq/Westland in their UK establishments are all looking to get out of military work as their main sourse of income ASAP, & who can blame them?

Last edited:
Bit in the paper, if the Jocks give us the finger, when we need a ship building we will have to put out a Europe wide tender, and there is no guarantee it will be given to Scotland, also we will be the only country that cant build it own warships without a European partner

Last edited:
There again, it's BASE that owns the Yards and runs the business. If a newly independent Govenment of Jockland decided to nationalise "their" resident shipbuilders, though, your concern could be realised.

FAA, do want a little wager about the 26's being built in the UK? I reckon they will be, read between the line wrt the new order for 3 OPV's.

Latest Threads