Pompey News: "Home At Last! HMS Illustrious Returns To Portsmouth Today"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jan 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Sailors who spent the holidays away from their families are due to arrive back in Portsmouth today to a heroes’ welcome.

The Royal Navy’s helicopter carrier HMS Illustrious is due to sail into the city after those on board missed Christmas and the new year with their families to help in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

The carrier is due to pass the Round Tower in Old Portsmouth at 12.25pm today."

Home at last! HMS Illustrious returns to Portsmouth today - Portsmouth News
  2. Pompey ...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hahaha at the last photo, interesting...
  4. Absolutly brilliant love to see this stuff. Will be my turn on a day in Febuary. All I have to do is sort out a suitably embarrassing banner.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. "Hello sailors! Crew of HMS Illustrious return home after giving up their Christmas at home to help people in the Philippines"

6. Welcome home my Hercules?

I suggest you get yourself off to Brize sweetheart :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. That last image is so lovely, very sweet.

8. The masses need to be informed.............
  9. "Among those returning were Leading Engineering Technician (LET) Jack Lowe, from Stoke-on-Trent, who had to postpone proposing to his girlfriend because of the warship's delayed return to the UK.

The 20-year-old got down on one knee to pop the question to Amy Clarke, also 20, from Portsmouth, who said yes with tears of joy in her eyes.

LET Lowe said: "I wanted to ask Amy before Christmas; I had planned to take her to Paris, so I was gutted when I couldn't.

"I am just happy she said yes, I was really nervous. Maybe we'll go to Paris now anyway.''

Miss Clarke said: "It's absolutely amazing, of course I said yes.

"I'm feeling all nervous.''

Attached Files:

10. Is it just me or does LET Lowe seem to be missing something essential in a hookie? Like hooks.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. I think that the journalists have referred to the RN website for clarification, as the photo of Jack and Amy on the article about the ship's return (fourth photo in the gallery on the page) is the following and the caption says:

"Leading Engineering Technician Jack Lowe proposes to girlfriend Amy Clarke as he steps off of the gangway of HMS Illustrious, upon her return to Portsmouth. Image by LA(phot) Ian Simspon (sic)."

Armed Forces Minister welcomes home HMS Illustrious from Philippines mission | Royal Navy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014