Pompey News: "Gosport Sailor Freed From Prison Over Gun Drama On Ship"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Feb 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 3583938791.jpg

"A Royal Navy sailor who pulled a gun on a senior officer during a mental breakdown has been freed from prison.

Leading Seaman Kevin Moffat, 45 – described as the ‘very epitome of steady reliability’ by superiors – took an unloaded SA80 assault rifle into an officer’s cabin on board HMS Edinburgh.

The senior rating, from Gosport, was suffering with a mental disorder triggered by fears he would miss his child’s birth, after he was drafted for a mission to the Falkland Islands.

The 25-year veteran was jailed for three years and dismissed from service after a court martial in Portsmouth, in July.

But three of the country’s most senior judges yesterday freed him when they reduced the term to 14 months."

Gosport sailor freed from prison over gun drama on ship - Portsmouth News

2. Since when was a 2 and a half a senior officer?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

3. Onboard a vessel it is

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Any Officer would be senior to a Killick

• Like Like x 2
  5. In the context of the article he is.

6. 45 year old LH

:cyclops:

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I can't get worked up about a 'senior officer' of a vessel being called a 'senior officer' but; since when was a Leading Seaman a
    ?

8. When he's somehow still a killick at 45?

9. If my recollection of some of your previous posts is correct MLP, that's one of your bete noirs?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Odd. I can understand a woman wanting to be present at the birth of her baby, granted. In my experience, from a blokes perspective, the entonox ain't all it's cracked-up to be, being screamed at and being called a bastard maybe a novelty during labour, but you get used to it after a few years. Then again, 25 years to killick...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Having just had a son born 9 days ago and having to be there I would have moved heaven and earth not to be there. Too much shouting, liquids and "stuff" that no man should have to see. I am now a strong believer in waiting rooms for men not being there.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Many Congratulations, Guns - that's wonderful news.

13. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there is a good case for giving one's other half a bottle of single malt and a cigar and sending him off down the corridor to watch the rugby/cricket on TV.

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Good luck Guns -

With his bell bottom trousers, suit of Navy Blue,
    Watch him climb the rigging like his daddy used to do ..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Not wishing to upset your apple cart Finks as a man of normally immaculate prose :angel3:, but should that not be bêtes noir?

2BM

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sun Roof is the way to go.

17. Oh, and how much booze did you require to get the poor girl in the family way?

18. Or 'bêtes noires' even.

19. Are they like chats noires?

• Like Like x 2
  20. You'll have to ask him.