Pompey News: "Distinctive Design Makes Destroyers The Perfect Model"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Dec 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

2. You know that little tube of glue, well, it is FFBNW!

For you civies, that's Fitted For But Not With

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sixty quid for a few bits of plastic, another rip off.

4. It was going to be 20 quid originally, (for a choice of 1 from 12 models) but then there was a design moratorium, during which time the requirement had changed and so there were certain elements that had to be redsigned which meant new contracts being negotiated and agreed with Customer 1 and Customer 2 and of course Airfix etc. During this time the price of crude oil escalated, forcing up the price of plastic. That coupled with the 10 year delay from the original idea and inflation means you now have to pay 60 quid Guv for only 1 of 6 models. I don't suppose you want the last 6...................

Hope this helps.

Based on a true story.

This is an Abbeywod/MoD production.

• Like Like x 2
  5. If Airfix had been allowed to make the original 12 kits instead of having the number cut to six, the UPC (Unit Production Cost) would have been a fraction as much. The expensive bit was the initial design, development and production of the moulds. Obviously, spreading this across half as many units put the individual price up considerably.

6. Those small electric motors you could fit to drive the model seem to have inspired someone.

7. I would love one of those to get blobs of glue over, brush marks and generally gash painting all over.
    My model making skills are not the best.