Pompey News: "Cuts Left RN Warship ‘Dangerously Unarmed’ During Libya Operation"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Nov 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why did we worry the MOD spokes person said
    Permanent Under Secretary at the MoD Ursula Brennan said: ‘The assessment of the risk to HMS Westminster would have taken in to account the other capabilities that we had in terms of submarines, aircraft and surveillance and so on and said “in those circumstances, do we think that is a risk worth taking?”.

Even so 4 Seawolf missiles is a bit short and unlike submarines, surface ships only dive once.

2. Are these the same people who did the risk assessment for Helmand in prior to our grand entry in 2006?

3. Almost without a doubt. But then, in the comfy offices of Whitehall, the bullets and missiles are just numbers on a spreadsheet

4. I'm not saying I'm an expert or have 1st hand experience of life in Whitehall, but the general observation is just that. Not just here, or in Britain, but all over, and in many periods of history

5. Well, this thread has potential.

Potential for woefully ill informed poo poo.

6. Sorry 'bout that. This quote appeared to give the impression that it was, that's all.

Anyway, I'll probably leave it there.

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

admiralscruff wrote
    Those contributing to the so called 'general observation' are as ill-informed about Defence as you are. The less they know, the more they want to offer their opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Having just composed a long reply, I've just deleted it as I know better and can't be arsed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

admiralscruff can I suggest that you look back over your last few posts and work out how many people you have pissed off. You are coming across as a immature 15 year old, which I'm guessing isn't far out. It may pay to read more and type less.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Almost without a doubt. But then, in the comfy offices of Whitehall, the bullets and missiles are just numbers on a spreadsheet"

What a chod - if you go to Main Building, you'll find the officers there are very operationally experienced, have very definitely been on the sharp end and hate having to see the service they love shrink. You have zero naval experience - stop pretending that you know what you are talking about.

• Like Like x 3