Pompey News: "Call for admirals to be included in navy losses"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by sgtpepperband, Sep 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. Shame Mr Page can't be made redundant.
  3. Pity they are; this month's Officer's Appointment List had a whole series of retirements for Cdre and Capt RN. Page is a man who had one good idea, and that ran out a long time ago.
  4. sgtpepperband

You give far too much credit, ATG... :oops:
  5. Page is my hero. A man who has made a living out of not knowing what he's talking about but gobbing off anyway. The man is a role model to me.

As an aside, Norman will be thrapping himself into oblivion at the thread title.
  6. SPB - if you actually read his original Naval Review article, from which the entire Page-thinking sprang, it contained some very valid criticisms of the RN and our ethos. Unfortuantely, he failed to continue to apply the half decent intellectual rigour displayed there, and instead disappeared into a Sharky-esque polemic about the RAF and BAe in his later writing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Usually when Admirals are to be culled (not that that happens often) they merely don't get another appointment and are therefore cornered into retiring. So making them redundant is , er, redundant. Perhaps some 'flag' posts will go, and with them the office holder.

Just a thought.
  8. sgtpepperband

ATG: I did read it, as a matter of fact, and his subsequent "novel" . Like you said, it was a nice idea at the time, but worthy of nothing more than a gripe spun over a fag or a brew. That he is now being consulted as some sort of guru on matters military (general) or naval (specific) is offensive to those that do know what they are talking about (including some RR members) and detrimental to the real stories that affect the Armed Forces currently.

I did entertain his embryonic theories - and that's all they were - at the time, but he attached his obvious hatred of BAE et al. to pretty much every aspect of defence spending and procurement.

Notwithstanding that, his opinion counts for nothing until the redundancy announcements are made later this week. He would be advised to keep schtum until the facts are made public.

9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Leave poor Lewis alone he lights up my day! I even had an amazing flash from him recently when I posted some criticism related to one of his 'articles' on The Register. Boy did he get upset.....I laughed for hours.

But sadly there are people out there who won't see a failed fish-head, they will see and hear what he tells them, and because he is a 'journalist' and and 'expert' it has to be believed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The problem is not making admirals redundant, the problem is they never really leave as they are retained as retired, underFULL pay! FFS!! What is needed is a change to this policy rather than getting rid (financially at this time it makes no difference so why not keep the dithering old farts, although I do hasten to add there are some fantastic admirals out there)
    Change their pension policy, then get shot of the top heavy load.
    Judy my tuppenceworth :):)
  11. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"The problem is not making admirals redundant, the problem is they never really leave as they are retained as retired, underFULL pay! FFS!! "

No, no, no, no.

The only people this applies to are Admirals of the Fleet, of whom there are about 5 left now. We havent had one for 20 years and will never have another.
  12. Purple Twiglet, I know you are wrong. Only if they resign do they not get a full pay pension. I personally know an ex commodore ( who resigned for reasons that are not part of this forum ) All retired, i.e. Pushed admirals are retained on full pay in case they are needed for active roles in time of war
  13. you do talk bollocks there drew.....
  14. Purple_twiglet

"Purple Twiglet, I know you are wrong. Only if they resign do they not get a full pay pension."

Nope, you're still talking bollocks. The only admirals who receive fully pay are the few remaining 5* officers. The rest retire, and receive a pension like everyone else. There are no Admirals retained on the reserve list, as that in itself is no longer used in any meaningful way.

Unless of course you'd care to post a link showing that all 1*s and above receive full pay?
  15. And in other news, if you swallow chewing gum it stays in your guts and you'll die.

This is the urban myth thread right?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Purple_twiglet

"And in other news, if you swallow chewing gum it stays in your guts and you'll die."

A friend of mine did that on her first day at uni, and was convinced she'd be dead in hours. Apparently it ruined her freshers week.

And moving on, has anyone heard about the private who retired after 22 years with an RSMs pension?
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

5* do not get full pay, they are placed on half pay which is their equivalent of a pension (and at one point was less than a 4* pension, which caused some dignified grumbling). The distinction is that they remain on the Active List whereas all other Officers, who have sufficient time in for pension or a gratuity (in my day officers not serving to age 37, roughly), are placed on the Retired List. Officers on the Retired List are subject to recall. A brilliant example is Admiral Ramsay who was recalled to run Dover which turned into Dynamo and was eventually grudgingly allowed to return to the Active List before he ran the naval side of D-Day.

My understanding is that admirals in post are discreetly told whether there is a new job for them or not. Their redundancy is therefore handled by cranking up the 'nots', who then retire to pension in the normal way without Pusser incurring a redundancy payment. Rank to rank (rear to vice etc) it used to be one in three up or out. Ultimately the Treasury have a hold over how many x* the MoD can fund and all hands can assume the treasury is now squeezing hard.

Not-further-promoted Lt Page should be read with caution.
  18. It never ceases to amaze me how often the urban myth about retired Admirals pension payments crops up - in simple terms HMRC rules do not allow a pension that large.

As previously stated Admirals do not get get made redundant, they simply do not get another Assignment.

As also previously stated, anything attributable to Mr Page needs extreme caution. It smacks of inept and lazy journalism (similar to approaching Mr Large for anything involving the "N" word); Mr P himself appears to have large chips on both shoulders and a rather large penis growing out of his forehead!
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There is a distinction between pension & half pay for legal reasons.

If the government re-employs a service person in receipt of a service pension, the combined income (pension & wage) cannot exceed your last day's pay & is abated to the benefit of the Treasury.

Unless you are on half pay & re-employed as a government minister, despite being a "simple sailor", that is.
  20. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are three surviving Admirals of the Fleet, one of whom is the DOE so, although on the active list, doesn't count for our purposes. No disrespect, HRH is a god and a legend and has smelled the smoke. The other two are Sir Edward Ashmore and Sir Benjamin Bathurst. We've lost two this year.

drewfester, you are talking out of your hoop. Just like Admirals (and other Officers) Ratings can be recalled from pension to active service and I don't see any retired ratings on full pay. Do you? There are a few 4* Admirals who have retired but remain on the active list, former 1SLs, CDS and VCDS since 5* rank went West.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.