Pompey News: "Ark Royal turns to Twitter to keep in touch"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Pompey News: "Ark Royal turns to Twitter to keep in touc

... and it wasn't so long ago I was giving you a hard time for that link to the BRNC Facebook group. All a question of balance I suppose.
  2. i cant believe some of the comments on that. dolphins....
  3. Re: Pompey News: "Ark Royal turns to Twitter to keep in touc

I can see it now, RN has time to tweet while soldiers are getting shot at and blown up in Afghanistan. Does 3 Rifles have a twitter account, do the EOD guys tweet their latest achievements!

Hardly helps counter the image that the Navy sails around on a jolly with too much time on their hands does it, well done RN PR department :roll:
  4. What a fcuking joke.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not too long ago the only means of communication with home, from a ship at sea, was via a hugely expensive satellite telephone call or, for the vast majority of us, via a sporadic postal system, often with several weeks between drops.

Then came email & mobile telephones. Ships off the UK coast where possible, used to come within mobile phone range each evening - and probably still do. Emails were more problematic - I remember the entire intranet on Illustrious was supposedly frozen during the download of a large file attachment. At the time attached files weren't allowed due to the system capabilities. What was the file? Yep a picture sent by one of the PO's family of their new baby bunny floppit - I kid you not. (Obviously he didn't get any stick).

Nowadays guys in Afghanistan are uploading helmet camera videos onto YouTube within hours of being involved in a contact. Emails are the preferred means of comms - quick, free & easy to use. Units have online Blogs, can access forums such as this, & have weekly free phonecalls when deployed & it's hardly a huge leap of technology to 'Twitter' also.

How things have changed in the last couple of decades - to my mind largely for the better.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Twitter. The ugly person’s Facebook.