Pompey Navy days

Hydra_Joe

Badgeman
I spent all three days on the SSAFA Stand. Great weekend. The Red Arrows on the Friday were the best display I have ever seen them give (and I have seen them shed loads of time).

A brilliant weekend all round and a great showcase for the Navy. There were Naval Personell all over the dockyard, interacting with the public and all very cheerful - not a grumpy one in sight - even if they did have their weekend stopped.

Biggest surprise for me as to how things have changed as follows:- I went to see an old Oppo on HMS Enterprise who invited me in the SR's Mess at about 1300. Not a drop of beer in sight - was offered a cup of tea. Is that the way things are now - or had my reputation for beer swillling gone before me? :)

Hydra_Joe said:
Biggest surprise for me as to how things have changed as follows:- I went to see an old Oppo on HMS Enterprise who invited me in the SR's Mess at about 1300. Not a drop of beer in sight - was offered a cup of tea. Is that the way things are now - or had my reputation for beer swillling gone before me? :)

Oooh HMS Fox the revenge
I went to see an old Oppo on HMS Fox who invited me in the SR's Mess at about 1300. Lots of beer in sight - was offered a cup of tea. (circa 1990)

When I was in, it was a disgrace to the mess if the guest was not poured off the gangway

The biggest insult was that they were openly drinking cans of beer out of their lockers, and not one offered the guest (moi) even a sip,

One sugar or two Jack
Err NATO standard please (Milk and two sugars tea)
Err Jack NATO standard is now one sugar black
Then milk and two please

You were lucky you were not offered a glass of skimmed milk or a half bottle of Evian water FFS

Jack McH

clanky

War Hero
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
Hydra_Joe said:

Oooh HMS Fox the revenge
I went to see an old Oppo on HMS Fox who invited me in the SR's Mess at about 1300. Lots of beer in sight - was offered a cup of tea. (circa 1990)

When I was in, it was a disgrace to the mess if the guest was not poured off the gangway

The biggest insult was that they were openly drinking cans of beer out of their lockers, and not one offered the guest (moi) even a sip,

One sugar or two Jack
Err NATO standard please (Milk and two sugars tea)
Err Jack NATO standard is now one sugar black
Then milk and two please

You were lucky you were not offered a glass of skimmed milk or a half bottle of Evian water FFS

Jack McH

Perhaps your oppo just didnt want you to stay?
Genuine guests will stll get lashed up in a SRs mess. Freeloading geriatric straphangers tend to go without. :thumright:

Latest Threads