Pompey Navy days

gypquitacorrie said:
What else did you expect to find on an English ship, I''ll bet you found no rust on the British ships?
At least there is such a thing has English ships Fin!

My comment was tongue in cheek sadly I suspect yours was not.

Against my better judgement I have to say, are those the ones that are built on the Clyde? =)

gypquitacorrie

Lantern Swinger
My comment was tongue in cheek sadly I suspect yours was not.
Against my better judgement I have to say, are those the ones that are built on the Clyde?

Fin why do you say SADLY? You evidently seem to crave an independant republic of Scotland and I also want to see an independant Scotland' Although both of us want the same thing for different reasons. Further more please remember not all RN ships are built on the Clyde, some of the RN ships were built on the Tyne, at Barrow, Appledore and even Portsmouth (though only parts of).

finknottle said:
Getting back on track delighted to hear that those who attended seem to have had a cracking time.

We did, it was a indeed a cracking day.
For me it was good to see the Navy less formal with the interaction between the rates/ranks much less stiff than I remember.
The addition of the Japanese ships and the Chilean added something; the crews were very polite and also very smart. The Brazilian training ship, complete with an enormous flag and suitable music, was very welcome.
I even took to the new open necked shirt uniform which I think looks very good.
The wx was superb and the traffic not at all bad. Prices in the concessions were not too over the top and there were plenty of things like loos, guides and helpful people.
Over all, well done..

Jamie534

Badgeman
sussex2 said:
We went today and were really impressed by the whole thing, all very well done.
Plenty of meeters and greeters for the admittedly long queue, including gadzooks a Commander! plus oddball acts to entertain the waiters.
It was good to see so many people obviously impressed, and, all the service personel really approachable and pleasant.
The Chilean ship (ex HMS Marlborough?) was really well turned out with all the crew speaking to the guests in english.
By and large a really good day in fantastic weather. It cannot have done the services reputation any harm at all, far from it.

I went along today as well and had a great time. I was really impressed by the Japanese ships + crew and the Royal Marines CP display was made oh so much better by the two commentators :lol:

Also i was impressed by some of the female crewmembers on the Danish ship ^~

There was some sort of wedding going on and pubs (what's left of them) on the Hard were full of kilt wearing gentlemen..
A bit later a women dressed like a meringue, who I took to be the bride, went into the Best Western next door to were Joanas used to be..(we parked down there, near the swan boat lake, you can always park easily along there).
Church bells ringing, presumably for the marriage, guns going off and lots to see..splendid day; didn't feel ripped off either.

Haha did any of you see the police display with the dogs? the dog was suppose to check some car for drugs and it run into the crowd and run away, i suppose it would do the job its because it has a crowd there. It was a really good day and makes me want to be in the navy even more.

Chicogiz said:
Haha did any of you see the police display with the dogs? the dog was suppose to check some car for drugs and it run into the crowd and run away, i suppose it would do the job its because it has a crowd there. It was a really good day and makes me want to be in the navy even more.

Do you know if it was a Maltese dog?

Latest Threads