Poll reveals Brown isn't a popular choice for next leader

How arrogant is it to name your national flag "The" Saltire, when it 's merely one of many around the world.

The flag is actualy called The Scottish Saltire.

In my opinion, Labourlite, including "Irn" Broon should be tried for treason for destroying the U.K.[/quote]

I agree with this point, and I am Scottish. Now can we get back to slagging off fat boy Broon.

I just heard the hot tip for Broons first Chancellor is Darling...NNNOOOOO, and before anyone says Ed Balls, apparantly he's seen as to much of a "Brownite", there all "cnutites" to me.

FlagWagger said:
wet_blobby said:
I'd suggest you look at the UK emmigration figures, I think you'll find people are voting with there feet,and why is it that when ever an Englishman opens his mouth he's accused of being a wingeing Pom yet when ever anyone else does it's ok, there speaking out for the national cause or being patriotic....fcuking hypocritical if you ask me.

Agreed - my background is that I'm English by birth with a mixed English/Irish ancestry and lived for a time in Scotland. Up to Labour's devolution I was more than happy to regard myself as British, however, today I'm condemned to being regarded as English. The current nationalism affecting the UK is detrimental to all parties; the longer the majority of the UK population are perceived to be disadvantaged the greater the trouble brewing. Maxi, you make valid points about historic inequality, however, two wrongs don't make a right - perhaps the Scottish would be prepared to accept an apology by the English (after all it works for slavery, etc). Rather than dwelling on the mistakes of the past, we should all work towards making the political system inherently fairer - lets make the "U" in UK stand for United once again rather than "Unequal".

My comments of past problems with the way the UK decided to rule itself were in no way a suggestion that Egland should suffer in retribution for past injustice, far from it, as I equally said the present situation is in the hands of the Eglish to change, please get on with it and stop moaning to us is all I ask for. As for thepresent administration being kept in power by scots MPs I have shpown that if you kicked out all the Scots MPs there would still be an adequate majority for labour, so once again the solution lies in your own house. Living and working in Scotland I don't see any great anti English movement at all, many of those I work with are English and I hear no complaints from them and none express any wish to 'get away' from us. Most of the anti stuff I see is from South of the Border, and directed against the Scots, and that is in the press., of all colours, and is on a daily basis. I have said and I will say it again the biggest cause in my opinion of the rise in support for the SNP is the anti Scots propoganda coming from the English media.

FlagWagger said:
A quick observation on the emigration figures - while the net inflow of immigrants to the UK is reckoned to be 2000 / day, there's an actual inflow of 3000 / day and an outflow of 1000 / day (including me!) - while some of these may be previus immigrants returning home, there is a proportion of emigrants like myself who are professional people. With the current fiasco over junior doctors training, I expect the next wave of the brain drain to include a significant number of health professionals that have been trained and paid for by the UK to move to continue their careers elsewhere.

The real problem with the immigration/migration figures is that they are at best estimates as it is now clear that the home office just hasn't the slightest idea in particular who is leaving the country. Locally we have had a major influx of Poles, probably as much due to old ties with Poland and the large number who stayed here after the war so there are Plish community clubs etc to support migrants. Most of those who have come ntend going home when they have built up a nest egg to get them started in life back in POland so the net effect is likely to be small, and I suspect this will generally be the case with incomers from the neww EC countries. In general most immigrants come here to work and pay taxes, oftem more than some of our youth is prepared to do, and as some one approaching my pesion, I for one want to see enough people paying taxes to fund the state part of my pension.

safewalrus

War Hero
I just love the way the Jocks say they don't like arrogant tw*ts!!

Should look in the mirror occasonally - nothing more arrogant than a Jock after a few beers (needs the beers for courage!) makes the English and others look poitively whimpish!

Re: Poll reveals Brown isn't a popular choice for next leade

safewalrus said:
I just love the way the Jocks say they don't like arrogant tw*ts!!

Should look in the mirror occasonally - nothing more arrogant than a Jock after a few beers (needs the beers for courage!) makes the English and others look poitively whimpish!

Or whingers :lol:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Maxi_77 said:
My comments of past problems with the way the UK decided to rule itself were in no way a suggestion that Egland should suffer in retribution for past injustice, far from it, as I equally said the present situation is in the hands of the Eglish to change, please get on with it and stop moaning to us is all I ask for.

Sadly, its not in the gift of the English alone - it requires a consensus from the whole UK political body which will vote along party lines which have previously demonstrated their contempt for public opinion, no matter how strongly expressed.

Maxi_77 said:
Most of the anti stuff I see is from South of the Border, and directed against the Scots, and that is in the press., of all colours, and is on a daily basis. I have said and I will say it again the biggest cause in my opinion of the rise in support for the SNP is the anti Scots propoganda coming from the English media.

You encourage the English to get on with changing the system, yet you decry the press reporting on the perceived views of many English - if there is to be a major change in the political system affecting the majority of the UK population, then I think it would be newsworthy enough to be reported. Given that many feel the situation is unequal, there is bound to be an element of apparent "whinging" in the reporting that could easily be perceived as anti-Scots. You can't have it both ways!

FlagWagger said:
Maxi_77 said:
My comments of past problems with the way the UK decided to rule itself were in no way a suggestion that Egland should suffer in retribution for past injustice, far from it, as I equally said the present situation is in the hands of the Eglish to change, please get on with it and stop moaning to us is all I ask for.

Sadly, its not in the gift of the English alone - it requires a consensus from the whole UK political body which will vote along party lines which have previously demonstrated their contempt for public opinion, no matter how strongly expressed.

Maxi_77 said:
Most of the anti stuff I see is from South of the Border, and directed against the Scots, and that is in the press., of all colours, and is on a daily basis. I have said and I will say it again the biggest cause in my opinion of the rise in support for the SNP is the anti Scots propoganda coming from the English media.

You encourage the English to get on with changing the system, yet you decry the press reporting on the perceived views of many English - if there is to be a major change in the political system affecting the majority of the UK population, then I think it would be newsworthy enough to be reported. Given that many feel the situation is unequal, there is bound to be an element of apparent "whinging" in the reporting that could easily be perceived as anti-Scots. You can't have it both ways!

If a little more than half the Eglish MPs decide to change things, there is b*gger all the 59 Scots MPs can do about it. As it is most of the Scots MPs would be delighted if the problem was resolved properly, but until it is as members of the UK parliament they will exercise their voting rights as they see fit.

What you lot do down there is clearly your own choice, what I complain about is the contiual attempts to blaim us for your own shortcomings, one does not see comment on the line of 'we must sort out how we govern ourselves', rather it is 'bloody Scots tampering our affairs'.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Maxi_77 said:
If a little more than half the Eglish MPs decide to change things, there is b*gger all the 59 Scots MPs can do about it. As it is most of the Scots MPs would be delighted if the problem was resolved properly, but until it is as members of the UK parliament they will exercise their voting rights as they see fit.

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu (all over again!) - I think we've had this discussion before. The problem as I see it is simply "party politics" - none of the major parties want to upset the status quo so the electorate (where ever they live in the UK) can just whistle.

Maxi_77 said:
What you lot do down there is clearly your own choice, what I complain about is the contiual attempts to blaim us for your own shortcomings, one does not see comment on the line of 'we must sort out how we govern ourselves', rather it is 'bloody Scots tampering our affairs'.

That's because objective, fact based reporting doesn't sell news!

FlagWagger said:
Maxi_77 said:

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu (all over again!) - I think we've had this discussion before. The problem as I see it is simply "party politics" - none of the major parties want to upset the status quo so the electorate (where ever they live in the UK) can just whistle.

I understand tha that very nice chap Mr Bliar and his best friend Gordon are set against any change in case it gives us terrible chaps north of the border any more of an excuse to b*gger off with our ball.

Maxi_77 said:
FlagWagger said:
That's because objective, fact based reporting doesn't sell news!

That does seem to be the way of the world, but equally that does not mean we should like it.

JeffB

Badgeman

Funny how this is only a shortcoming of the English - lets face it you never see anything in the Scottish media about 'bloody English tampering in our affairs' do you? Oh OK maybe I'm wrong!!!

In order to try (in vain I fear) to return to the original thread I think it would be fair to say that Brown (who may, or may not, be Scottish and may, or may not dictate policy in England over issues that English MPs cannot dictate in Scotland) would be a disaster for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or any other country misfortunate to deal with him were he to be given the keys to 10 Downing Street. Enough said?

I am doing very nicely under Labour, more power to their elbows I say. It must be galling for the English to find themselves ruled by Scots, tough!

Cameron another Scottish name, must be some superior Celtic blood in there somewhere. :lol:

JeffB said:

Funny how this is only a shortcoming of the English - lets face it you never see anything in the Scottish media about 'bloody English tampering in our affairs' do you? Oh OK maybe I'm wrong!!!

Since devolution no, because devolution solved the problem in general. Now there are arguments as to where more of the matters reserved to westminster should be transfered to our parliament but the discussion is more about the potential benefit of the change than complaints about the English. One does get the odd complaint I must admit about some of the more outspoken anti Scots in England, but overall not that much. We did get a trifle pissed of during the World Cup (football) when the English media tried to stir up trouble.

JeffB said:
In order to try (in vain I fear) to return to the original thread I think it would be fair to say that Brown (who may, or may not, be Scottish and may, or may not dictate policy in England over issues that English MPs cannot dictate in Scotland) would be a disaster for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or any other country misfortunate to deal with him were he to be given the keys to 10 Downing Street. Enough said?

Now whilst I have no overwhelming desire to have Broon frae Kirkaldy as my next PM I do see him as preferable to Bliar and almost all the other members of the Labor party