Poll reveals Brown isn't a popular choice for next leader

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
wet_blobby said:
I'd suggest you look at the UK emmigration figures, I think you'll find people are voting with there feet,and why is it that when ever an Englishman opens his mouth he's accused of being a wingeing Pom yet when ever anyone else does it's ok, there speaking out for the national cause or being patriotic....fcuking hypocritical if you ask me.

Agreed - my background is that I'm English by birth with a mixed English/Irish ancestry and lived for a time in Scotland. Up to Labour's devolution I was more than happy to regard myself as British, however, today I'm condemned to being regarded as English. The current nationalism affecting the UK is detrimental to all parties; the longer the majority of the UK population are perceived to be disadvantaged the greater the trouble brewing. Maxi, you make valid points about historic inequality, however, two wrongs don't make a right - perhaps the Scottish would be prepared to accept an apology by the English (after all it works for slavery, etc). Rather than dwelling on the mistakes of the past, we should all work towards making the political system inherently fairer - lets make the "U" in UK stand for United once again rather than "Unequal".

A quick observation on the emigration figures - while the net inflow of immigrants to the UK is reckoned to be 2000 / day, there's an actual inflow of 3000 / day and an outflow of 1000 / day (including me!) - while some of these may be previus immigrants returning home, there is a proportion of emigrants like myself who are professional people. With the current fiasco over junior doctors training, I expect the next wave of the brain drain to include a significant number of health professionals that have been trained and paid for by the UK to move to continue their careers elsewhere.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Streaky said:
Flagwagger, for what possible reason should the English apologise to the Scots?

More than 300 years of enforced serfdom if you listen to them! I merely offered the apology in the same vein as all the PC apologists for other apparent wrongs committed in the past, e.g. slavery, settling the US, etc. Given that my apology would be verbal it would be worth the paper its printed on! :)

exile1

Lantern Swinger
Re: Poll reveals Brown isn't a popular choice for next leade

Ah........the Scots. "A pinched and whining breed with a calamatous desire to drink themselves into oblivion" Reading some of the comments on this thread, I tend to agree with Oscar Wilde's observaton.

exile1 said:
Ah........the Scots. "A pinched and whining breed with a calamatous desire to drink themselves into oblivion" Reading some of the comments on this thread, I tend to agree with Oscar Wilde's observaton.

We are still good enough to rule you the mongrel race that is the English :lol:

safewalrus

War Hero
More apoligies, why would you want to apoligse for something you didn't do? Bit like the slavery issue! Has anybody from the arab nations apoligised for the English (and Cornish) slaves taken from the shores of those two counties many years ago - No, I didn't think so! So why apoligise for having a few scraps with other tribes in these islands? Waste of time, and degrading for all concerned!

finknottle said:
exile1 said:

We are still good enough to rule you the mongrel race that is the English :lol:

Then what the fcuk have you all been wingeing about for the last 300 years then?

Are we really surprised that people don't trust him. Before we know it there will be a scottish navy!!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
finknottle said:
Simple really albeit subliminal we don't like arrogant twats.

Nobody does - but generalising and labelling all English as arrogant twats is not helpful nor does it solve the political cluster fcuk that is the root cause of antipathy towards Scots politicians in Government.

finknottle said:
Simple really albeit subliminal we don't like arrogant twats.

How arrogant is it to name your national flag "The" Saltire, when it 's merely one of many around the world.

It belittles those countries who have a saltire as their national emblem, precisely what's being whinged about the English.

A whiff of hypocricy, perchance?

I'm firmly of the belief that we are, and should remain, the United Kingdom.

In my opinion, Labourlite, including "Irn" Broon should be tried for treason for destroying the U.K.

Latest Threads