Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Gombear, May 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Political Correctness"
    We are confronted with this inane expression on a daily basis

In my opinion "Political Correctness" is a lefty contrivance that has no meaning other than this:
    If you don't agree with what I say then you are wrong. :threaten:
  2. i agree gombear ,

its all a load of bo****ks
  3. Political correctness is in fact a contrivance of the conservative right to describe any socially liberal measure about which they disapprove, in order to attempt to undermine or discredit it. Human rights for minorities was one of the first things to be described as PC, upon which basis Sir Winston Churchill as Home Secretary before WW1 could be described as PC!
  4. Look at the two words together.......neither make sense in being linked

It is a method of appeasing, a flim-flammery.......a way of avoiding the REAL issues of how this great nation is being deconstructed and sold out

Why do we need to be enveloped by the EU? The USSR is the most obvious example of how well that works, after 70 years it falls apart and then conflicts occur......will take another generation to settle, maybe

Rant over......for now
  5. An interesting point of view, Thingy.

Whether it originates from the left or right, I still think in itself it is meaningless.
  6. I'd agree, but the origin is important, particularly when one considers that the general usage is an attempt to stifle debate by insinuating a lack of credibility through the use of labels, rather than criticism of content.

The intellectual fraud inherent in the use of the term is itself a contributor to the lax implementation of policies which end up bearing the label.
  7. Thanks to PC we no longer have the golliwog on our Robertson's jam and cannot buy nigger brown shoe polish (apparently it's OK for black guys to say the n word but completely taboo for whiteys - how racist is that ?).

And a host of comedians who use the double entendre are now condemned as racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-semitic and just about everything else.

I'll have to stop now as I feel a little queer. :frustrated: rant over.

Anyway, there were three guys in a bar (I don't know their race or ethnic origin and when I say guys that could include people of either sex or indeed of any sexual persuasion and the bar could or could not have been licensed to sell alcohol and no, I don't know what town, country, hemisphere or even universe they were in but listen, this'll really make you laugh - where are you all going..............
  8. I wish I'd said that :thumright:
  9. Then again the USA or Australia,both Federal states with each state having its own goverment, laws etc. they seem to be rather successful. Perhaps its the states (If the cap fits wear it) that do not want the EU to work that will make if a failure like Russia.

10. Well, according to this well presented piece, the origins appear far more sinister:

That certainly fits the popular notion that it was imported from across the Atlantic.
  11. "Baa Baa Black Sheep" has been PC-ified in primary schools to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep", possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and kids in mixed-race schools (I think Birmingham started it) are no longer allowed to perform Nativity plays for their parents at Christmas. In case it offends the Muslims and stuff :( It's all a bit sad.

I went to boarding school so a fair number of my friends are from other countries: China, Japan, America, Oman, etc. But I was called racist by a woman from work the other day because I made an Irish joke. Took me a very long time to convince her that the Irish are not a race...FFS.
  12. I've heard this a few times before but not sure whether to believe it or not. Do you have any articles of these things?

Another famous story is the "Winterval" idea replacing Christmas about 10 years ago. This was only a marketing campaign by (I think) Birmingham council and had nothing to do with being PC, however, it was taken out of context and is regularly trotted out by the media.
  13. Cheers, the Nativity story is ridiculus. We don't see other faiths 'watering down' their pageantry, although I'm not overtly Christian it is still part of my past. When will these leaders learn to stand on their own two feet. I don't mean just the PM or government but the head teachers etc.

However, with the Rainbow Sheep, the article title is a bit misleading, if the contents is to be believed. According to a worker at the nursery, they sing black sheep, white sheep and happy and sad sheep - they're not avoiding black sheep, just adding others to their repertoire.
  14. Yeah, I know there was a big thing about it a few years ago but people complained. There's another story online somewhere that I was reading earlier, about Nativity scenes in towns and outside churches being vandalised and in some cases completely trashed. It really p*sses me off that all the other countries in the world have a right to defend their nationality, religion, whatever, but we're "scared to be English" in case it offends people. I'm not an immigrant-basher or anything like that, but we do a lot of foreigners favours by letting them in; now a minority seem to be trying to push us out.
  15. The source of this information is itself revealling: UKIP. Applying the label PC to anything is a way of stifling debate as Karma says, but its origins cannot be attributed to cultural Marxism. In the middle ages it was not PC to criticise the church. In the Bronze Age it was not PC to challenge the system of law that based sanctions upon social rank. When I was at school we were forbidden to read Nietsche on account that he had declared the death of God (and perhaps because he was a Protestant, or am I being cynical?) which itself was merely a form of PC. One persistant problem within philology has been the problem of linguistic meaning and ideologically designated meanings attributed to words: hence the need for etymologically determining the interpretation by reference to literature written around the same time in the same cultural context. You can see this point by reading the Bible in the original languages.

Take the Hebrew word to'ebhah for example. In certain contexts this has been interpretated as meaning 'abomination' eg in the King James Version & more recently the NIV. But this is a mistranslation of a word signifying, contextually: unholy. This again was translated into the NT Greek as bdelygma which means ritual impurity, though this interpretation is open to question because whereas ritual impurity did not attract the death penalty, certain unholy acts did - again context is the key to interpretation.
  16. Who gives a Fiddler's where it originated......it's bloody here and it needs to be gone

Remember......Divide and Conquer
  17. Well said. Doesn't matter where it came from, it's gone too far.
  18. Can't remember where I found the following definition, but it seems appropriate:

Political Correctness:
    A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, which holds forth the proposition
    that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.