Political Correctness & its Effects on Humour

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was a youngster in the mid 1960s there were some great programs on television and some great comedians. There were no go areas and programs were made and jokes told about all and everything. There were no NO GO areas.
    These included:
    Race, religion, black people, asian people, white people, fatties, skinnies, lofties, shorties, gays, Jewish people, Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman jokes, Scousers, Yorkies, Geordies, Janners and Welsh jokes plus many more. The list was endless.
    Below is the list of currently acceptable politically correct subjects.

Has PC had a negative or positive affect on humour?
  2. Never mind humour, it's curtailed the ability of many to have an intelligent debate, since they just start blaming PC whatever that actually means, for all the worlds various ills.

All it's really done in terms of humour is change the labels associated with the various protagonists in old jokes.

Humour as such has remained much as it always has, strongly segmented, although I think political humour has become a lot less deferential since the emergence of Not the Nine O'clock News.
  3. Has PC had a negative or positive affect on humour?

yes and no.

what is life like on a modern Warship?

where are the no go areas?

Thank fuck I`ve left.
  4. I hope that's not they're all saying Hig!!

5. I have no option 2BM, Ive seen whats in, and Ive seen whats joining, my son is a Chief Tiff , I listen to him and silently cry, my Navy does not exist anymore, rightly or wrongly I`m entitled to my opinion.
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think political correctness (isn't that fast becoming an oxymoron?) has changed the face of public humour, but made little difference to the jokes we hear in private. Amongst friends you still hear some sick, topical, racist, sexist and any other "ist" you care to name, people are just less prepared to offend. A little like drink driving, offence has gone out of fashion and is no longer acceptable, it's not necessarily a bad thing but I don't think I laugh as much as I used to!

The down side of course is that people are in general too quick to take offence turning the tables to their own agenda.................... Just look in the news today, Margaret Hodge suggests that housing priorities need reviewing and that idiot Keith Vaz turns it into an issue of racism. If you can't take a joke, which the council priority housing system appears to be, you shouldn't have joined up Keith!

And no, Hig isn't my Dad :lol:
  7. How do you Know?

Whats your Mothers Maiden Name?

Is she French?
  8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'm not prepared to answer anymore questions until you answer one: do you have a lot of money, big house and dodgy Will ? [tentatively] Dad?
  9. Come home Son all is forgiven.
  10. Karma

I think you will find that the satire program that did for Royalty and Pollies was;

"That Was the Week That Was" screened in 1962

pre-dated "Not the 9 o'clock News" by 17 years which first went out in 1979 but like most youngster's you probably think you are the first people to do it.

11. That was the one I was thinking about, heard a documentary about it on R4 recently and it talked about the change in comedy as politicians became objects of satire, rather than automagical respect.
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

bollox, I still call a spade a spade.
  13. Spade, I still call a Bolloxs a Bolloxs

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

and a pruning fork a pruning fork.......
  15. Forked if I know..."This Maori walked into a pub...."
  16. Did he/she have Tattoos's????
  17. Someone berated an elderly relative of mine talking about "Nigger Brown" colour in a wool shop. I paid a visit later and put them back in their box, in her era it was a perfectly acceptable expression and just becuase times have changed doesn't mean she should.
    Some races have become overly sensitive to words that are just decsriptive i.e. the ginger guy over there, the fat guy over there, the black guy over there.
    PC has taken a hold and it is very sad. In fact a thread has just been locked on here and I can't see any reason why other than it was discussing race. Didn't see any offensive comments (although they may have been deleted).
    We are all too scared of what other people think these days.
  18. Lingy
    I too noticed the locked thread, I re-read all the postings but could not find any suggestions of either racism or race hatred. When I log on now I notice that DLs and the gash barge contain far more postings than DLs and The Quarterdeck. Finally I cannot understand why the msgsmiley has lasted so long in CA a forum which for so long has been ruled with a rod of iron.
  19. You are no longer allowed a sense of humour in this country any more :!:
    Even the so called modern day comedians aren't funny :( I don't think Little Britain is funny. The Office was funny to start with and then it was the same every week :( Catherine Tait not at all funny :( The 3 non blondes :( :(
    If a comedian resorts to bad language they are not funny. Why must they swear :?: The 2 Ronnies didn't or Morecambe & Wise :p

Bring back real humour lets have more comedians like Les Dawson :lol: :lol:
  20. The wife's Mother said, "When you're dead, I'll dance on your grave." I said: "Good, I'm being buried at sea."

(The inimitable Les Dawson)