Political Bollocks

Skylarker

Midshipman
I was reading an article about each parties defence pledges and promises and originally I was concerned about Corbin coming in.. but his party has some good points, except scrapping Trident. But after reading how the Greens view it.. well I'm glad they do not stand a real chance! Anyway thought I'd attach it for those interested.

I was reading an article about each parties defence pledges and promises...
Interesting that you should deem the subject 'interesting'. Not so for the BBC's take on defence, as shown below from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50291676

As defence spending is a paltry 2%-ish of the overall spend I'd guess that Auntie Beeb thinks that other issues merit a far higher interest for the great unwashedl electorate. aka all those dim enough to swallow the BBC's 'unbiased' approach to politics.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1573733392480.png
1573733330510.png

Skylarker

Midshipman
Well now that is interesting, nothing like BBC to have an Agenda. But surprisingly I found it pretty hard to find anything online regarding each parties defence views. Especially before this general election was called.

Funnily enough, in the pub on Monday a load of the younger crowd got debating about the armed forces and a few of them, under the assumption that since we are not at war, we don't need an armed forces, just a defence force and that we do not need to be part of NATO. A few older guys shot them down but it is worrying that these kids with no views of the world or understanding have the right to vote about this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Wightsparker

War Hero
Funnily enough, in the pub on Monday a load of the younger crowd got debating about the armed forces and a few of them, under the assumption that since we are not at war, we don't need an armed forces, just a defence force and that we do not need to be part of NATO. A few older guys shot them down but it is worrying that these kids with no views of the world or understanding have the right to vote about this stuff.
[/QUOTE]

".....then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,"

Ballistic

War Hero
all those dim enough to swallow the BBC's 'unbiased' approach to politics.
It's funny though isn't it?
I've deliberately not blocked/ignored my contacts on social media whose views I disagree with so that I'm not living in an 'echo chamber'.
The results are interesting.

All the left-leaning contacts think the BBC is biased to the right.
All the right- leaning ones think the BBC is biased to the left.

They can't all be correct...

fishhead

War Hero
It's funny though isn't it?
I've deliberately not blocked/ignored my contacts on social media whose views I disagree with so that I'm not living in an 'echo chamber'.
The results are interesting.

All the left-leaning contacts think the BBC is biased to the right.
All the right- leaning ones think the BBC is biased to the left.

They can't all be correct...
Perhaps they can. They have a large diverse staff and each one of them will have a different view. The editors of the shows will also have their own leanings so what reaches the screen can vary from show to show. My own view is that they try to be neutral but rarely succeed. You can't please all of the people all of the time and the BBC fulfill that brief.

Ballistic

War Hero
Perhaps they can. They have a large diverse staff and each one of them will have a different view. The editors of the shows will also have their own leanings so what reaches the screen can vary from show to show. My own view is that they try to be neutral but rarely succeed. You can't please all of the people all of the time and the BBC fulfill that brief.
Pretty much my thoughts.
It must be quite difficult to be objective, especially when you're interviewing arseholes like <insert politician here> every day.