Political Bollocks

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I would disagree with you on this. People tend to look at the party manifesto and make a decision based on that, not on the individual who stands. Or have always voted Labour/Conservative/Liberal/SNP etc. In theory you are correct, but the reality is very different unless there is a local issue that people feel strongly about.

Not that the manifesto lasts any longer than first contact with reality.
I don't dispute that is what happens, but it is wrong and is not the way the UK system works, and that is why you won't get a byelection.

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
That may be true in principle - but - virtually everyone standing for the main parties does so because:
They have been selected by local party members
They have had LOADS of help in canvassing from said party
They have had LOADS of cash to pay for all the material needed
stand for election - Deposit/leaflets etc
They almost certainly pushed the party line on the doorstep so
were actually committing themselves to that manifesto

I expect there are more points I could dig up but I think there’s enough to prove the point ie:
If they renege on the above, which almost certainly got them elected, then they should resign and have the decency to go back to the electorate and tell them what they REALLY believe in - and see how far they get
Again, I don't dispute what you are saying, but the fact is it simply doesn't work that way. You elect a person to represent you, not any party that the person might be affiliated to. It is up to you as a voter to verify for yourself the credentials of the candidate.

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Guys, I'm not trying to pick an argument, I'm just pointing out how the system works. Yes, you are all making valid points about the perception of the voting process, but that changes nothing. The fact is that far too many voters in the UK have no real idea of how the system works. Perhaps it's time that it was brought into the education curriculum?

slim

War Hero
Guys, I'm not trying to pick an argument, I'm just pointing out how the system works. Yes, you are all making valid points about the perception of the voting process, but that changes nothing. The fact is that far too many voters in the UK have no real idea of how the system works. Perhaps it's time that it was brought into the education curriculum?
You are of course correctomundo!
I do not intend to shoot the messenger.
However I do think it is time for the Government to do two things.
1. To make it law that if an MP is elected to stand for a party and changes parties a By eleection is called.
2. Abolish the Upper House and replace it with a fully professional elected system

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Great idea - maybe they could oust the transgender classes.......!

taffscrivs

War Hero
You can't possibly abolish the Upper House! Sir Kildalot Blair has his seat booked and needs the opportunity to completely undermine something else...

Ballistic

War Hero
269440554_10161942875248986_3560746945737499632_n.jpg

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
You are of course correctomundo!
I do not intend to shoot the messenger.
However I do think it is time for the Government to do two things.
1. To make it law that if an MP is elected to stand for a party and changes parties a By eleection is called.
2. Abolish the Upper House and replace it with a fully professional elected system
Absolutely - given that’s how Governments are chosen - by affiliating the elected individuals with a political party or by the elected individual promising the people who put them there that they would support a particular party - that’s how it actually works even though it’s not strictly supposed to

Sumo

War Hero
Absolutely - given that’s how Governments are chosen - by affiliating the elected individuals with a political party or by the elected individual promising the people who put them there that they would support a particular party - that’s how it actually works even though it’s not strictly supposed to
Why can you not dance?

taffscrivs

War Hero
Boris bashing seems to be the theme of the day. Ok he may have have transgressed a bit 18 months ago but no one has taken account of what he and his cabinet has done since.
What have the opposition parties come up with? Feck all if we're honest, and you can guarantee that a fair few of them participated in illicit parties. This is just a petty witch hunt probably instigated by that lying bastard Cummings. Let's be fair here most MP's enter Parliament to fill their own coffers relitavely easily without having to work too hard.
They have no real interest in the common people as long as they grease their own palms.
As I've said before if you are having a witch hunt, have a good 'un, across all political parties and root out all the transgressors. A few surprises may be in store.

Last edited: