Political Bollocks

Waspie

War Hero
Hot off the press, Christian Wakeford, MP for Bury South has defected to the Labour party.

Probably been said before but he was elected as a Conservative MP so should he resign his seat and stand in a by-election as the Labour candidate? If the people of Bury South wanted a Labour MP they would have voted for one.

If they don't know what their own politics are why should anyone vote for them. Tory today, labour tomorrow, Greens next week!!! Waste of space or attention seeking?

Sumo

War Hero
And of course, he will have a written chit from his new Deputy Leader which will state that he is not in fact scum, but is now to be considered a Hero of the People, with apologies for any confusion past statements may have indicated.

As a thought, does the Conservative Party have a Deputy Leader? (Of course not - governments don't usually find an overwhelming need or desire for one)
Dominic Raab

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Probably been said before but he was elected as a Conservative MP so should he resign his seat and stand in a by-election as the Labour candidate? If the people of Bury South wanted a Labour MP they would have voted for one.
No. You vote for a person to represent you, not a party, though many people don't realise this.

No. You vote for a person to represent you, not a party, though many people don't realise this.
I would disagree with you on this. People tend to look at the party manifesto and make a decision based on that, not on the individual who stands. Or have always voted Labour/Conservative/Liberal/SNP etc. In theory you are correct, but the reality is very different unless there is a local issue that people feel strongly about.

Not that the manifesto lasts any longer than first contact with reality.

Waspie

War Hero
I would disagree with you on this. People tend to look at the party manifesto and make a decision based on that, not on the individual who stands. Or have always voted Labour/Conservative/Liberal/SNP etc. In theory you are correct, but the reality is very different unless there is a local issue that people feel strongly about.

I have only once voted against my usual 'party' A local chap called Jim Knight, now 'Lord Jim'!! Was very pro the local area. He believed in himself and the area and did everything he said he would to improve the area. An excellent communicator who personally replied to any questions you posed to him. When his party lost the election, he had been made a Lord and stepped down. I moved back to my usual party as his successor was a clown!!
So, yes individuals do matter but it's still the party manifesto that drives any party. (Not, I know, that they ever stick to it). But hey!! That's politics!!!!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator

You are not disagreeing. You are pointing out what we all know.

However, the comment from rebbonk was that you are IN PRINCIPLE voting for an individual who is to be your elected representative. The fact that they may have an affiliation or association with an established political Party is secondary and not a mandatory requirement. And so is technically correct and I note that you did actually acknowledge that in your response.

What you are confirming though, is that the general populace actually believes it is the other way around. Which is illustrative of how well people understand their own governmental system (e.g. very poorly).

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
That may be true in principle - but - virtually everyone standing for the main parties does so because:
They have been selected by local party members
They have had LOADS of help in canvassing from said party
They have had LOADS of cash to pay for all the material needed
stand for election - Deposit/leaflets etc
They almost certainly pushed the party line on the doorstep so
were actually committing themselves to that manifesto

I expect there are more points I could dig up but I think there’s enough to prove the point ie:
If they renege on the above, which almost certainly got them elected, then they should resign and have the decency to go back to the electorate and tell them what they REALLY believe in - and see how far they get

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
And if the person can't make his mind up what his politics are, if he's one or the other, what gives a voter the confidence he will stand for anything.
That is up to you to sort out before you cast your vote. I always make a point of questioning anyone that wants my vote.

Latest Threads