Political Bollocks

taffscrivs

War Hero
Probably posting this in the wrong place but it is one for the politicians to sort out.
Recently the Guernsey Lifeboat coxswain was stopped for speeding whilst answering a shout and given a ticket. Guernsey Police have now dismissed the charge but stated that they were right to issue the ticket as Lifeboat crews do not have blue light status, as do the other emergency services. That to me is bloody disgraceful when you consider that these brave people put their own lives on the line in order to save others.
I for one will be asking my MP to raise a question in Parliament about this and would ask that others using this site do the same.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
It's almost COP26 time - WHOOPPEE! It seems the locals are saying what Glaswegians say best. I like the fact that 'Glasgow Kiss' had to be explained!

A feisty pensioner who refuses to be named has a warning for any climate activists: ‘I don’t know how things are done in London, but if they try to block the roads here, they’re going to get a Glasgow kiss,’ she says, smiling menacingly through her dentures. (Note to XR and Insulate Britain campaigners unfamiliar with the local patter: that’s Glaswegian for a head-butt.)

And this - you couldn't make it up:

Case study number one is the fleet of electric Jaguars that will be used to ferry VIPs from their hotels. Alas, because of a lack of power points, diesel-powered generators have had to be brought in to charge them.

Ballistic

War Hero

Coronavirus leaves Keir Starmer’s body out of sheer boredom​

Keir Starmer

The Covid-19 virus has left Sir Keir Starmer’s body of its own accord out of utter boredom, according to doctors.

The leader of the opposition tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday morning, causing him to miss PMQs, but it appears that spending just twenty-four hours in Sir Keir’s dull company was more than even the virus could take.

https://newsthump.com/2021/10/28/coronavirus-leaves-keir-starmers-body-out-of-sheer-boredom/

taffscrivs

War Hero
That's about right with electric cars, if we're all going to have these vehicles in a few short year's time where are you going to charge them all? You can see what's going to happen. Residential streets with charging cables everywhere, people tripping over them and suing the car owners for negligence and a huge black market for stolen charging cables.
Far better to go with hydrogen power, but hang on, that would give terrorist organisations the opportunity to to nick the fuel cells and make bombs out of them.
Back to horse and cart then. But all those millions of extra horses equals loads of extra methane gas from their excrement, bad for the ozone layer. Better to get the WD40 out and oil up the pushbike, as a kerb rocket will probably be the only viable means of transport in 20 years time.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Probably posting this in the wrong place but it is one for the politicians to sort out.
Recently the Guernsey Lifeboat coxswain was stopped for speeding whilst answering a shout and given a ticket. Guernsey Police have now dismissed the charge but stated that they were right to issue the ticket as Lifeboat crews do not have blue light status, as do the other emergency services. That to me is bloody disgraceful when you consider that these brave people put their own lives on the line in order to save others.
I for one will be asking my MP to raise a question in Parliament about this and would ask that others using this site do the same.
The same issue arises for Retained/RDS Fire-Fighters. As ever there is a political undercurrent.

If RDS fire fighters had speed exemptions to get to the station when responding to pagers (noting that their vehicles have no blue lights or two-tones, but all that is another argument) then RDS turn-out times could be reduced. However the FBU want more full-time fire-fighters, so the union will never support lifting traffic regs for RDS as full-time, station manned, appliances will always turn-out quicker.

Waspie

War Hero
I have a recollection from years back about a Ambulance being done for speeding!! Can't remember if it was on a shout but I believe even the emergency services can't just slap on the revs when it suits!! (Unless your a plod and it's near shift knocking off time)!!!!

taffscrivs

War Hero
I would have thought that if they were allowed, a blue light being used by lifeboat crew members answering a distress call would be pretty justified...

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Shame the Police haven’t got as much time or enthusiasm to stop dealers, rapists, burglars etc