Political Bollocks

Off Caps

Midshipman
I think you are forgetting how the UK left the EU, Scotland need to buy a bus with 300million a day on the side of it, seems to work

Not forgetting any of the mess that evolved from Brexit and is still on going, a lesson the SNP should have learned about telling the truth, not as they fantasise but what is in the real world.
I would agree with that, but how do you stop these politicians who seem these days to be immune to criticism and can “get away with it”. Seems the real world is what they want it to be, with the help of money from the big boys

Off Caps

Midshipman
There are smaller countries by population, 9 with a total population of 5M or less,
but how much do they receive from the EU compared to what they put in, I know it's 2018 figures but it won't have got any better

Population numbers mean nothing apart from the smaller countries are a bigger drain. Do you seriously think Scotland has the ability to be of benefit to the EU, financially?
Maybe, maybe not, as I said they are 5M. That number of people can do a lot when motivated to do so

Sumo

War Hero
I would agree with that, but how do you stop these politicians who seem these days to be immune to criticism and can “get away with it”. Seems the real world is what they want it to be, with the help of money from the big boys
only way to stop Politicians, is not to vote for them?

Ballistic

War Hero
184715694_299527535030171_7694878090444869431_n.jpg

Not seen the wee one mention that yet, may be she forgot, her memory can be very selective?
Thats just one aspect the SNP do not want to share with the people of Scotland or want to be challenged on.

Add defence related industry losses, bases being moved south, knock on job losses in support industries.

Currency is the big one. Independent but dependent on another country's bank for currency and interest rates? Without a say on fiscal policy, how much they can borrow etc, if the currency would still be interchangeable with rUK. Not to mention having to adopt the Euro if they did get admitted to the EU. Hard border with running costs? Crack on Krankie.

Does she really think the rUK will roll over and give her everything she wants in the event of separation? Not a chance.

Unionist politicians need to get tore into her loudly and publicly at every opportunity to show her independence push for the folly that it is. Remember that she does not speak for Scotland, not even half of Scotland.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Lot of bollo(x) written here about Scotland not making it outside the UK.
5M people in Scotland, same as NZ. Joining the EU would be good for them. They would not be the smallest country, lot of smaller countries that get handouts, if needed. In NZ we tend to compare ourselves with Norway and Ireland, but strive to be like Denmark. The Isle of Man could make it outside the UK if they joined the EU

No one is really saying Scotland couldn't make it outside the UK - what is being pointed out is that it won't have the power of the Union to cushion it from what life throws at them - like a global pandemic, for instance - and that things will will probably be radically different for the inhabitants as a result. And it won't be the free unicorns are currently being sold. Indeed, a recent study just estimated the economy would have £26Bn pa less than it currently has. With less money, and a much higher proportion of the population in public service, where will the money come from to fund it all? The Scottish pound will not have a lender of last resort so no reassurance behind it, making any borrowing automatically higher, especially since there is no track record either. That will cost more than the UK pays and so will take longer to pay back - if at all. And if it defaults?

The future will NOT be rosy, for far more than a generation, as it spends astronomical amounts setting up all other the things it currently takes for granted, while living in an age of severe austerity.

Seriously, who in all reason would vote for that? I don't, I won't and I am unlikely to be persuaded otherwise.

And that is before the pogroms start on those who are not Scots, or deemed to be sufficiently Scots.

But why does any of this bother a Kiwi?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
The Scots have a benefits system which costs the taxpayer a fortune.
Could they manage to keep this when independent?

Even better than that. They thkweemed and thkweemed for the levers to run the benefits system - got it and then asked for a delay, then asked for an extension on that delay, because it turned out not be as easy as they thought. Still waiting.

May Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Wee Donkey save us if they ever actually got what they want. And the pie eater kidded on it would only take 18 months to rip away from a Union that has had three plus centuries of integration. How long did it take to leave the glorified trading club?

It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Jacobus

War Hero
I knew it was bad. However over 50% in receipt of some form of benefit !
I think the bigger danger is that the rest of the country get so pissed off with yet more Scots independence calls, and jingoism, and just tells them to go ‘Forth’. Pun intended. . Over that nice new bridge that the rest of U.K. helped to pay for.
And in no respect can an independent Scotland be compared to NZ.

Last edited:

Latest Threads