Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gazza82, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello again
    This might be a stupid question but I just wanted to find out if anyone knows if the army polish their boots different to the navy?
    My dad is ex army and thinks there is a difference... To me it sounds daft but you never know... there are different ways to polish boots e.g. shiney caps and everywhere else matt etc...
    Hope someone can help me out....
  2. [​IMG]

There are loads of things in Newbies, look them up.
  3. Be nice to the Newbies Hig. They don't know any better.

4. Spit and polish ---heheh is just that .
    lot of work but its worth it . The Navy boots used to be different from Army issue --RN ones didn't have toecaps so it was a bit harder to do.
  5. Army boots have toe caps, Navy boots do not. Spit and polish if thats what you are asking about can be done many ways you just go the way you are shown. I only ever used polish a rag and spit, others will melt Polish over the toe cap rub the leather smooth with heated spoons.

At a recent wedding my shoes, six months of breaking in and spit and polish matched the boots of six serving Royal Marine NCO's present in uniform, so you pay your money and take your advice.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

7. thanks for all the replies...
    They have helped :thanks:
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There is a sly way, sort yer frigging avatar out and I'll tell you.
  9. Whats wrong with my avatar?
    Oh and a second Question in the army they apparently have 2 types of boots good ones for parade and ordinary ones for work the parade boots have to be shiney all round and the working boots only have shiney toecaps.
    Is it the same in the RN?
  10. Load of carp...I live in a garrison town and the pongos boots are shamefull
    ..dull as dishwater.
  11. lol...
    well It has been bout 15 years since he's left the army
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well tell him it's all changed Gazza mate,

They get issued patent leather stilettos now, or so the RAF Regiment tell me, anyway.
  13. lol I'll tell him...
    So do the navy have 2 pairs of boots? or is there only one pair which is shinety at the toe end and matt everywhere else?
  14. I can testify to this having seen the DVD. Very funny too! :lol:

I got a beautiful gloss on my ROC shoes (the ones I wore for ceremonial) by melting beeswax and using it on my shoes. Later I used British Library book dressing no.2 instead! Sadly I can no longer remember how I made the latter, having initially made up a large quantity which lasted for years! (Until we got disbanded, actually :lol: )
  15. AAC

What the hell is British Library book dressing no.2?

Just googled it and nothing found