Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polishing Shoes, any secret formulas?

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
I realise how sad it must sound to be asking advice regarding how to polish ones shoes. But my work shoes seem to have got a bit scuffed lately & it's rather bad form to go around the west end with unsightly footwear. The old ‘cheating-scuff-removal-sponge-thingy’ won’t seem to do the trick either!

From my time as a weekend warrior I came across quite a few quaint nutters who swore by their technique- the art of polishing boots… One recommended setting them on fire, another recommended pushing in the polish under hard pressure from the forefingers. Others said to use cotton wool & a few more used household spray & I’ve even heard of some using nail polish & black gloss paint. Naturally the Pussers way of doing it is to use a bit of water & parade gloss, but it’s a little time consuming.

The objective of this tragically sad thread, chaps & chapesses, is to discover the ultimate method of shoe polishing

Please state your technique & I shall try it on my very own size 9s:
 

CRYSTALTIPS

Lantern Swinger
Im all for a new formula too as ive tried and tested all of the methods Vesper has mentioned above and still to date, none of them have ever worked.

If i ever needed my shoes or boots shinning id just end up paying someone to do them for me or during basic training the typical one to your oppo......"you shine my shoes/boots and ill iron your shirt or whatever for you".......
 
I swear by the tights!

Put polish on with brush, then buff up with an old pair of tights ( my dad ex bootie taught me it, used to nick my mums tights before any incoming about tights and booties )

Painting cracks them
 

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
Hmm,

It may take a while putting the polish on then buffing it up, I need a shoeshine boy/girl!

Though it's worth a shot, I may ask around the office if I can borrow some young ladies tights ... :wink:

Anyone know of any superfast formulas?
 
The thing to remember is that you need to make the POLISH itself shine, not the leather underneath.
I do it like this.

clean cloth tight over fore finger, plenty of polish on it (experience will tell you how much).
Circular motion on the toe cap nice and slow until polish starts to "drag" and dry. Stop.

Clean bit of cloth,again, tight around fore finger, dip into clean water to get a ball of water on it, then gentle circular motion again (notice NO polish this time, all you will do otherwise is take the polish back off).

This way you will build up layers of polish in no time at all, all nice and shiny.

Oh, finish the last layer with a bit of bulls blood for a deeper shine ;)
 
hi
I always use the old spit and polish method, it works for me, but don't use parade gloss, normal polish is best.
ship_rat
 

CRYSTALTIPS

Lantern Swinger
Vesper said:
Hmm,

It may take a while putting the polish on then buffing it up, I need a shoeshine boy/girl!

Though it's worth a shot, I may ask around the office if I can borrow some young ladies tights ... :wink:

Anyone know of any superfast formulas?

SUPERFAST FORMULA: Quickshine!
 

slim

War Hero
Find the guy/gal in your entry who always has the best bulled shoes. Take him to the bar and tell him how impressed you are with his work and ask him to demonstrate. Give him your shoes to do while you watch, repeat as needed. Of course by the end of four weeks he may think that you are a slow learner, but what the hell
 
I used to work with someone who used an iron on his shoes - no, really!

He reckoned he picked up the idea from someone in the Army, and claimed it was the best way to get a good shine, especially on the old dimpled parade boots.

Did it work? Did it b*llocks!

It was excellent to watch though.

It made the uppers of his parade boots nice and flat, and the bottom of his iron nice and black! :lol:
 
TattooDog said:
I used to work with someone who used an iron on his shoes - no, really!

He reckoned he picked up the idea from someone in the Army, and claimed it was the best way to get a good shine, especially on the old dimpled parade boots.

Did it work? Did it b*llocks!

It was excellent to watch though.

It made the uppers of his parade boots nice and flat, and the bottom of his iron nice and black! :lol:

Someone in the pub asked me if I took a hot spoon to my boots. I assume this would have a similar effect to the iron or I'm I missing somthing?!
 
wompingwillow said:
Someone in the pub asked me if I took a hot spoon to my boots. I assume this would have a similar effect to the iron or I'm I missing somthing?!

The hot spoon (heated by a candle or lighter) method seems to work as it spreads the polish round the dimples and isn't too hot. This twonk's problem was using an electric iron.
 

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
wompingwillow said:
TattooDog said:
I used to work with someone who used an iron on his shoes - no, really!

He reckoned he picked up the idea from someone in the Army, and claimed it was the best way to get a good shine, especially on the old dimpled parade boots.

Did it work? Did it b*llocks!

It was excellent to watch though.

It made the uppers of his parade boots nice and flat, and the bottom of his iron nice and black! :lol:

Someone in the pub asked me if I took a hot spoon to my boots. I assume this would have a similar effect to the iron or I'm I missing somthing?!

If someone asked me that in a pub I'd prolly slap them.
 
We were taught to iron out the dimples on the toecap of parade boots during the 70's and then spit n polish only. As mentioned above you need a few coats of polish to build up the shine and then a great deal of patience when someone treads on them.
 

slim

War Hero
Nothing wrong with using the iron on your boots, just remember to clean it before ironing your white front.
 

Standard_Bearer

Lantern Swinger
Lamri said:
The thing to remember is that you need to make the POLISH itself shine, not the leather underneath.
I do it like this.

clean cloth tight over fore finger, plenty of polish on it (experience will tell you how much).
Circular motion on the toe cap nice and slow until polish starts to "drag" and dry. Stop.

Clean bit of cloth,again, tight around fore finger, dip into clean water to get a ball of water on it, then gentle circular motion again (notice NO polish this time, all you will do otherwise is take the polish back off).

This way you will build up layers of polish in no time at all, all nice and shiny.

Oh, finish the last layer with a bit of bulls blood for a deeper shine ;)

Before you put any polish, with the back of a spoon, bone the toecap. ie press the spoon on the toecap and rub all the dimples flat. Then you can give the caps a good spit and polish :p
 

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
Oooo we may have something here! 8)

BTW thanks for all the replies, anyone know about using a lighter to burn the polish then using cotton wool to buff? I also knew one particular chap who had a very special kind cloth which was apparently super soft & marvellous for buffing.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Polishing Haix combat high liability boots Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
M Polishing the helmet! Diamond Lil's 27
Gazza82 Polishing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Joint_Force_Harrier TAX REBATE FOR POLISHING OUR BOOTS Current Affairs 10
Mr_Gillette Which running shoes are issued at HMS Raleigh? Joining the Royal Navy 47
R navy boots / shoes Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS News story: Shoes to seamines - 20,000 items recovered preparing for carriers’ new home MoD News 2
TheLegend27 Parade Shoes UPO 10
EightSixteen Resole Parade Shoes? RFA 19
M Camilla's New Shoes Blue Jokes 0
mcreature Camilla's New Shoes Nautical Jokes 1
F Female Court Shoes?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
tommo Running barefoot better than running shoes?? Health & Fitness 7
scouse Two Red Shoes AKA The boots The Fleet Air Arm 5
K Why do we bull our shoes? The Quarterdeck 28
T Good Running Shoes? Health & Fitness 11
C shoes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Running shoes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
davy_longshanks Tropical rig white shoes The Gash Barge 17
broadside Bush vs Shoes Current Affairs 32
W A link for anyone looking to buy new running shoes Health & Fitness 1
S Good running shoes.. Health & Fitness 19
F 'Bulling' of shoes work uniform Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 31
S Running shoes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Shoes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Shining shoes The Quarterdeck 47
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Appointment of the new Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) MoD News 0
Stirlin The Troubles....a secret history. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
Stirlin Secret Agent Selection WW2 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
soleil 1911 - 1915: "The Royal Navy's Secret Campaign Against 'Unnatural Crimes'" History 11
soleil Secret and Silent: Conference (15/16th June 2018) and Exhibition Submariners 0
SARKING Secret History HMS Glorious History 1
P Apprentice Charleine on 'ejaculation pillow' - I saw worse at Secret Santa! The Gash Barge 11
wafuloyal wafu secret santa HELP! The Fleet Air Arm 17
Stirlin Patagonia.....Earths Secret Paradise. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp: CHURCHILL'S SECRET WARRIORS Competitions 9
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil Daily Record: "Gary Barlow Makes Secret Visit To See Our Troops In Afghanistan" Bases / Shore Est 21
soleil Mail: "Secret Command Centre Used By Winston Churchill Goes Up For Sale" History 1
soleil Telegraph: "'Top Secret' D-Day Orders To Naval Captains Emerge" History 3
I Secret/Specialist branches or roles in the navy ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
F Listen.........do you want to know a secret Current Affairs 13
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Cuban missile crisis: The other, secret one History 1
soleil Pompey News: "Secret Repairs For HMS Daring After She Suffers Breakdown" The Fleet 5
soleil Telegraph: "Belgrano Was Heading To The Falklands, Secret Papers Reveal" History 43
finknottle Secret Pakistan Current Affairs 12
T SAS war diary: The SAS secret hidden since World War II Current Affairs 2
WreckerL Pusser's secret battlecruiser History 4
finknottle A Royal Marine died after a secret mission off the coast of Portsmouth Current Affairs 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top