Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by johne, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought. How is it the police can when arresting someone when resisting
    arrest can electrocute, gas, pepper spray them but not chin them.
    Just a passing thought.
  2. Then can as long as its 'reasonable ' force.
    Unless you're a Brazilian, then they can kill you ;0)
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They can. And they have a nice little extendable stick to help them do it.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I saw some coppers dish out a right hiding to some pikey once, lifted my heart it did. Especially as myself and a mate had already given him a serious kicking for being a thieving twat.

I think coppers may well behave slightly differently in the middle of a showground in the dead of night with no public or cctv about. :)
  5. Why would you risk damage to yourself when you've got kit to put the hurt on toerags?
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Police cannot lawfully 'chin' a person in arrest.

But if, despite using Home Office approved methods, they accidentally cause injury to the suspect's face while apprehending them, then that is a justifiable defence - should the suspect be stupid enough to decide to press charges against the arresting officer(s)... :twisted:

In all seriousness, no Police officer goes out with the intention to injure someone - the pension (and reputation) that goes with the job is worth far more than a little ego boost - but, if during the course of the arrest process the suspect is not compliant, then you have to use whatever methods you can to prevent their escape. In my experience, detainees tend not to sit there quietly saying "Yes, Sir - No, Sir!" as you politely ask them to adorn your jewellery and take a ride in your taxi to the 5-bar hotel for the night! And while you have the legal duty to use force when appropriate, you are only permitted to strike in particular areas of the body (soft tissue, away from nerves and joints, etc.). However... by the time your baton comes to rest on the area you are permitted to strike, it goes without saying that the suspect will have moved somewhat, causing your point of aim to have changed.

It's all in how you write it up in your notebook/statement afterwards... :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I like nothing better than watching the rozzers windmill into the great unwashed, especially after having to put up with their shit for hours on end at protests. The fact they have all these gadgets which hurt people make it all the better in my eyes. It makes me chuckle to watch some gobby drunk chav getting CS in the eyes on arrest or a fat yob with tattoos getting tazered. Who needs to shoot people when there are more amusing ways of restraint?
  8. wal

wal Badgeman

I must get out more. I'm missing all the free entertainment.