Police will get powers to arrest travellers and seize caravans if they set up illegal campsites on private or public land

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
@dapperdunn

Perhaps there'd be less hostility to them if they paid their way ? Sticks in the throat seeing the flash cars and shopping trolleys piled high when others are struggling

I know it's all good fodder for the Daily Wail, same as that ch.4 prog Benefits Street a few years ago, but sometimes the truth hurts and we're too fluffy to tell some people where to get off
You have a perceived valid point. I'm sure some of them don't pay their way, but are any of them any worse that multi nationals that earn billions but only play a couple of million in tax? Or the window cleaner that doesn't declare all of his cash in hand earnings? Everyone plays the system in some way or other.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
@dapperdunn

Perhaps there'd be less hostility to them if they paid their way ? Sticks in the throat seeing the flash cars and shopping trolleys piled high when others are struggling

I know it's all good fodder for the Daily Wail, same as that ch.4 prog Benefits Street a few years ago, but sometimes the truth hurts and we're too fluffy to tell some people where to get off

The perception that Travellers are all tax dodging is a persistent one but I do question how valid it is. There are obvious problems regarding the application of justice if the offender is transient but that is not insurmountable. After all, just because people are foreign visitors does not mean that the laws suddenly do not apply to them (the recent diplomatic immunity controversy notwithstanding). We also have the option of "of no fixed abode". So the bobbies should not be held back from citing any driver or vehicle for not being road-worthy or having paid the relevant duties or being insured. There is not, as far as I am aware, a blanket directive to say that travellers are exempt from the law.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't forget that there are two separate groups, Travellers or Gypsys, normally genuine Gypsys will not mix with Travellers another reason why site management is a problem.

slim

War Hero
Don't forget that there are two separate groups, Travellers or Gypsys, normally genuine Gypsys will not mix with Travellers another reason why site management is a problem.
There is a common belief that ALL travellers are rogues, There are exceptions to this.
Every year for the last 4 years a Christian Travelers group has set up in Palmer Park Reading.
The first year that they arrived everyone was up in arms, however they stated that they would only be on site for a certain number of days and the site would be cleared of all rubbish etc. before they left.
This was done and apart from some tyre tracks the site was left as before they arrived.
They return each year for their gathering and so far as I am aware cause no problems.

Unfotunatelly not all travellers are like this:(

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I knew that Gypsies have more to do with the original Romany and trace their lineage back to that, and that Travellers were similar but not related. Cannot see why that would affect site management though - do they not have their own representative groups as liaison?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It probably depends where you live, when I refer to Travellers I mean the Hippy type hated by Gypsies but Gypsies do regard themselves as Travellers, life gets complicated.

Waspie

War Hero
Seems that at long last the Police will be given powers to move Travellers on when they occupy any land without permission.
If Travellers move on when requested no further action will be taken.
Failure to comply will result in seizure of vehicles and fines.

Ahhh, but will the boys in blue use the powers???
I can see plod turning up in full riot gear to evict a traveller site!

fishhead

War Hero
A regular tactic of the travellers is to rock up to their chosen site on a Friday afternoon. They know for council staff that can be a day to knock off early for the weekend so an unlikely time to instigate any actions to get them removed. They then have the whole weekend and any days in the following week before officialdom gets it's a*se into gear. I strongly suspect the "thin blue line" will adopt a similar approach which is live and let live because mustering the number of troops to remove dozens of travellers at short notice would be close to impossible.
I welcome the change in the law but do I think much will change? Nah!

They appear on our town playing fields once a year without fail, leave a pile of mess, the council post on the FB page to stay away. It then takes the council and volunteers a few days to get it back in a useable state. Usually in the early summer (anytime now). Chap across the road (handyman) has to move his van a trailer out of town as they will be snooping around and I'll get door knocking, block pathing cleaning, tarmaccing, loose roof tiles..... They ripped an old lady off round the corner for a loose tile (£400) after quoting her £150. The handyman across the road was waiting for them when they came demanding the extra cash, they didn't get it. Fights in the local pubs increase, garden furniture goes missing (we had to large planters robbed). They have a right to chose the lifestyle they want however when it impacts other to this extent then something needs to be done.