Police will get powers to arrest travellers and seize caravans if they set up illegal campsites on private or public land

slim

War Hero
Article in the Wail

In my opinion these powers should have been given to the police many years ago.
Unfortunatelly we have a problem that many do gooders believe that travellers have a right to park up wherever they wish and create havoc for the local community.
Yes we do need more travellers sites, but who should pay for them?
As a community travellers put nothing into the pot but take a lot out of it.
Anyone who has witnessed the devastation and disruption caused by this group must surely welcome the laws being tightened.

This should make an interesting topic to discuss

Sumo

War Hero
Article in the Wail

In my opinion these powers should have been given to the police many years ago.
Unfortunatelly we have a problem that many do gooders believe that travellers have a right to park up wherever they wish and create havoc for the local community.
Yes we do need more travellers sites, but who should pay for them?
As a community travellers put nothing into the pot but take a lot out of it.
Anyone who has witnessed the devastation and disruption caused by this group must surely welcome the laws being tightened.

This should make an interesting topic to discuss
Didn't know we had that many travellers on this site.

slim

War Hero
When I first got married I lived in a resedential caravan as did many other marrried matelots. The navy even owned several caravan sites.
These were not free and ground rent was paid to the RN though the caravans were owned by the occupiers.
I lived on a Navy site at Milltown near Lossiemouth, had a great club with lots of cheap beer. Even Daedalus had its own site.
Now was this a Wafu thing or did general service also have sites?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
More thinly veiled racist/xenophobic scaremongering from the Daily Mail. Nothing less should be expected I suppose.
Funny that there's been no dogshit for a while, then all of a sudden....

For a more balanced view, I suggest reading the Government briefing paper of 9th May 2019 an extract of which is below:
Inequalities experienced by Gypsies and Travellers
Gypsies and Travellers experience some of the worst outcomes of any
group, across a wide range of social indicators. The Equality and Human
Rights Commission (EHRC) has published a number of reports
highlighting the multiple inequalities experienced by Gypsies and
Travellers. An EHRC review in 2015 concluded that the life chances of
Gypsies and Travellers had declined since the Commission’s previous
review in 2010. The contributory factors are complex and often inter-
related, but may include deprivation, social exclusion and discrimination.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having dealt with both groups for the best part of thirty years I'd say that one of the main problems is that they don't help themselves (or perhaps they do as the crime rate always went up when they arrived.) If when they moved onto an area they kept it tidy and cleared up before leaving there would perhaps be a better reaction to them. The truth is of course, in most cases, that it costs a lot of money to clear up after them.
One of the main problems is that there are insufficient official sites to direct them too. Sites costs money both to set up and run, so it appears that a lot of the Local Authorities prefer to turn a blind eye until locals protests force them to act.
The laws for moving them on were written as usual by those that never came down from their Ivory Towers to make them work.

fishhead

War Hero
It is interesting that the words racism/xenophobia are brought forward when any criticism of the so-called Travelling community are raised. I live in an area which has lots of them and most , if not all, are white caucasian and actually travel very very little. They are fully integrated into the local community but like to remind everyone of their ancestry when it suits their cause and when they step outside of the law.
We do get the Irish tinkers during the milder weather and it is they who cause the most trouble.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It is interesting that the words racism/xenophobia are brought forward when any criticism of the so-called Travelling community are raised
Because Slim posted it.

I live in an area which has lots of them
So do I. Hardly any of them settled.They cause small amounts of trouble, but no more than the typical idiots of the local population. People are scared of what they don't understand.

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
@dapperdunn

Perhaps there'd be less hostility to them if they paid their way ? Sticks in the throat seeing the flash cars and shopping trolleys piled high when others are struggling

I know it's all good fodder for the Daily Wail, same as that ch.4 prog Benefits Street a few years ago, but sometimes the truth hurts and we're too fluffy to tell some people where to get off

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
@dapperdunn

Perhaps there'd be less hostility to them if they paid their way ? Sticks in the throat seeing the flash cars and shopping trolleys piled high when others are struggling

I know it's all good fodder for the Daily Wail, same as that ch.4 prog Benefits Street a few years ago, but sometimes the truth hurts and we're too fluffy to tell some people where to get off
You have a perceived valid point. I'm sure some of them don't pay their way, but are any of them any worse that multi nationals that earn billions but only play a couple of million in tax? Or the window cleaner that doesn't declare all of his cash in hand earnings? Everyone plays the system in some way or other.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
@dapperdunn

The perception that Travellers are all tax dodging is a persistent one but I do question how valid it is. There are obvious problems regarding the application of justice if the offender is transient but that is not insurmountable. After all, just because people are foreign visitors does not mean that the laws suddenly do not apply to them (the recent diplomatic immunity controversy notwithstanding). We also have the option of "of no fixed abode". So the bobbies should not be held back from citing any driver or vehicle for not being road-worthy or having paid the relevant duties or being insured. There is not, as far as I am aware, a blanket directive to say that travellers are exempt from the law.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't forget that there are two separate groups, Travellers or Gypsys, normally genuine Gypsys will not mix with Travellers another reason why site management is a problem.

slim

War Hero
Don't forget that there are two separate groups, Travellers or Gypsys, normally genuine Gypsys will not mix with Travellers another reason why site management is a problem.
There is a common belief that ALL travellers are rogues, There are exceptions to this.
Every year for the last 4 years a Christian Travelers group has set up in Palmer Park Reading.
The first year that they arrived everyone was up in arms, however they stated that they would only be on site for a certain number of days and the site would be cleared of all rubbish etc. before they left.
This was done and apart from some tyre tracks the site was left as before they arrived.
They return each year for their gathering and so far as I am aware cause no problems.

Unfotunatelly not all travellers are like this:(

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I knew that Gypsies have more to do with the original Romany and trace their lineage back to that, and that Travellers were similar but not related. Cannot see why that would affect site management though - do they not have their own representative groups as liaison?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It probably depends where you live, when I refer to Travellers I mean the Hippy type hated by Gypsies but Gypsies do regard themselves as Travellers, life gets complicated.