Police Involvement questions during interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lfd_35, Mar 20, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my interview coming up soon and heard that while you don't have to disclose any spent convictions you do have to mention any police involvement (ie being questioned/arrested etc), anyone had any involvement in this? I thought if a conviction was spent you didn't have to mention it at all but I don't want to lie if they ask about any other police involvement.

2. Normally on here, they advocate the truth as the best but Ninja may be along and have a better insight

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your nefarious past need only be declared to a careers adviser if the offences are not fully spent. If you are not confident they are spent in accordance with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act speak to a solicitor because failing to declare an unspent offence is in itself an offence (still with me?).

Some penalties are never spent and must always be declared.

All offences, spent or unspent must be declared on your online security clearance application regardless. Fail to declare, no SC. No SC, no job.

Feel free to pm details if in doubt, discretion assured.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add - any police involvement after submitting an application, even if only appearing in court as a witness - MUST be declared to your careers adviser before any court appearance.

5. So my understanding from this is that everything needs to be disclosed at SC but during the interview you dont need to disclose any police involvement if it led to a conviction that is already spent. You would only mention it during the interview if it was still ongoing?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Unspent offences must be declared on the rehabilitation of offenders form (Mod Form 493) prior to interview and, if permitted to proceed, would be discussed at interview.

In most cases unspent offences would bar your application being processed as far as interview but if the information was deliberately withheld, the applicant would have their security clearance denied.