Polar Polly

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fails_as_is, Jan 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

Navy Herione at South Pole

This sort of thing really grips my sh1t!
    Plucky Polly dragging her sledge to the South Pole, while bootnecks are being shot on the streets of Basra or in some god foresaken hole in Helmand province. I wish I could get months off work for AT, oh no hold on, I'm a bloke and I've got to help get my *OPERATIONAL* boat to sea, through workup and on to a deployment.
    And thank you to the currant bun for describing her as a herione, instantly devaluing those true heroes who are now sadly no longer with us.
    Well done Polly for showing what a wonderfully well balanced modern service we are by stripping to your bikini at the South Pole, score one for the women who threw themselves in front of horses to get the vote, or burnt their bras for women's lib.

BZ girl, BZ
  2. Where do we draw the line!!

WW2 peoples where getting blown to gawd knows where. Back home peoples where going to the pub movies theatre.

The show must go on as they say. One day you go to a funeral the next day a christening. It is called life!!

Totally agree about heroes/heroines this has been discussed before about true heroes. Lifeboat personnel to name just one group of unsung heroes.

Those poor souls of the coast of Ireland one boat goes down and another that went out to the rescue also perished. Bless!!

Totally pissed off hearing about Beckhams transfer. Not gone for the money he states if that's the case go do unpaid charity work for twelve months. More wants more as they say.

Hope the seps are happy with there latest immigrant. They are in the right place for nutters looking to have there name in lights!!
  3. fails, what about the recent trip to the South Pole by 3 booties and a RN doc? Were they loafing? Or is it the fact that it is a women that bothers you?

I think that there have only been 2 years since WW2 when no Brit serviceman has been killed in action, so does that mean that the forces should never do AT or anything else? And I think I read on Arrse that her husband is a RN helicopter pilot in Iraq so she is fully aware of the risks servicemen and women face.

By the way, she is wearing a bikini because she (I believe) is raising money for breast cancer awareness, so good for her. That takes guts at the south pole!
  4. As Bootneck Yank stated in another forum, is that pose bringing the Royal Navy into disrepute? She is a Lieutenant after all.
  5. Come on! I have seen booties wearing less on run ashores in Union Street!
    She was raising money for charity. Good for her.
  6. Well, as a hairy arsed lad who couldn't even get time off to do Field Gun back in the day, my view kinda sides with Fails_As_Is.

I'm sure that A) being blonde and female and B) an Officer, might just have helped her case when she threw that one into the bosses in tray.

As for the Bikini pose, anyone who thinks that has anything to do with Breast Cancer awareness is f'kin delusional. It has everything to do with a good pic however. I am friends with a lady who survived breast cancer, and she wears the t-shirt and the pin badge. I think that would have sufficed, Holly dear.
  7. Yep, heard of it. Thats Bras, not bikinis. MASSIVE difference.

One is about awareness of a terrible disease and the place it strikes on the body.

The other is about titillation.

Your call as to whats what.
  8. To quote from the Sun:

"Polly, of Yeovilton, Somerset — who is married to a Royal Navy pilot — plans to auction the cuddly toy on eBay to raise funds for breast cancer research...As well as publicising breast cancer research..."

Women wearing bras for breat cancer awareness is relatively common. Why is this any different? If anything a bikini is less titillating. Are you saying she can't go to the beach as that would be titillating?

She has achieved a great deal (could you do it? I'm sure I can't) for a good cause.
  9. Sorry WS, I do hate to disagree, but as a woman who has known breast cancer in the family I firmly believe that anything, anything that can be done to raise awareness of this disease and funds for the irradication thereof is to be applauded. If it helps I did Race for Life in rig this year for the same cause!
  10. I think a lot of guys forget that breast cancer can affect either sex!
  11. Very true Slim!!

Friend who I walked a 34ml charity walk with was told her husband has breast cancer he is a good man met him a few times. Spoke to him just before Christmas he looked fine and in good humour.

Horrible disease taken so many of my friends and family!!
  12. Good for her.

Trekking to the South Pole is a huge achievement.
  13. I believe it was one of your own WWII era Generals (possibly Hackett?), who said: "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of cause." You can substitute "woman" in this case, I guess.

On one hand, we have SSGT Manhart, USAF, who posed in Playboy for purely selfish reasons. To get exposure (pun intended) and get noticed for modeling/actress potential.

On the other, we have LT Hatchard, RN, who stripped to a bikini at the South Pole, ostensibly to raise awairness for breast cancer. It certainly got attention. Whether for good, or ill, time will tell.

This woman is a Royal Navy officer, so it's up to the RN to decide, not me,
    however, I do believe there is a line between drawing positive attention to your cause, and drawing negative attention to yourself (and the Navy).

Did she cross it?

On the other hand: Maybe they BOTH did it just to show off their tummy tattoos. Manhart has one, and if you look just above Hatchards' bikini waist, she has one very similar.
  14. Having spent more time in the Cancer Care Centre than the pub during the last four years, both my Wife and myself reckon she is a great girl, and sincerely hope that there are no repercussions that would jeapardize her career. She seems to be pretty switched on, and I expect that she cleared her bikini stunt with the powers that be before undertaking it.

Anything that publicises the need to have symptons that could be cancer checked out EARLY can only be to the good. We were fortunate in early diagnosis, fast track surgery, and a good back up system, and are both "in remission". Many of the acquaintences I met during six months of chemo,
    were not so fortunate, mainly due to late diagnosis.
    So, you girls, check yourselves regularly for lumps and bumps and unusual tenderness, and all of you of both sexes, take note of any unusual changes in bowel habits. Bowel cancer caught early can be cured, but it can also spread like wildfire in a comparitively short time.

15. If she is switched on, it is because she is smart enough to know that as a woman she can achieve more by getting her kit off than not, it's a fact. The Navy News in particular it has always favoured pictures of chicks and ethnic minorities.
    It does piss me off when they bleat about no one taking them seriously, getting accused of using their sex to get promotion and not being treated as equal. She acheives something by trecking to the pole and what does she do?
    Tee hee, look at me, I'm a cute girly in my bikini. She's have got more respect if she talked about tit cancer in her No 1s.
  16. Apart from the Sun using the term "heroine" in an incorrect manner what is all the fuss about. Good for her and well done for raising money for charity.
    Some of the people on RR need to get out more and get a life.
  17. You know, I can't help but wonder whether the Currant Bun (or any other paper including the Navy News) would have published a picture of a hairy Jack or Royal posed in his shreddies at the South Pole in order to raise awareness for testicular cancer.

The cynic in me says - probably not.

18. I recently lost my sister-in-law to breast cancer, so I fully understand the trauma and grief it causes within a family.

Good luck to the girl with regards to her raising awareness to this horrid disease. Not sure why she had to pose in a bikini to be honest, but must admit, she does look very nice. :)

As always, opinions on such matters vary and will always be massive talking points.
  19. I am thinking we should be shown some pictures of a hairy Jack or Royal in his shreddies so that we - as the female members of this forum - can decide for ourselves.

I am rather thinking that none of you will be brave enough!!