Poland signs missile deal with U.S.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Aug 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had to come didn't it after the crap in Georgia, they all feel vunerable now and Russia has shown them that they need to be scared.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/world/europe/15poland.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

If Russia had no designs on any of these countries then it wouldn't object, so I think their objections show a lot of what they have planned.

The Ukranians are also saying the Russian Black Sea fleet will need special permission before it can enter it's ports.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Crimea next.

3. Japan refuses to have nucular bombs in their country due to the last two going off.

4. To be fair, Ivan may have a point. It would change the post START and SALT 2 balance.

5. My father maintains that the Poles are idiots. They have a history of provocation and we will see where this leads us. As Churchill said - “There are few virtues that the Poles do not possess and there are few errors they have ever avoided.â€

RM

6. Three things:

1) If I was Poland, or another ex-Soviet state I'd be looking over my shoulder a bit nervously;

2) The US ABM system will (may) be capable of downing a handful of ballistic missiles. Russia has several thousand still in service. MAD remains in force.

3) Russia (and to an extent Germany and its predecessor states) has spent the last 300 years tearing Poland apart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_poland

In the last century the Russians invaded in 1920, 1939 (in alliance with those lovely Nazis) and then in 1945 they rigged elections to ensure Poland came into the communist camp. We last fought the French (properly) in 1815 and we STILL don't like them

7. That may well be the case but it does change the effective throw weight balance. Arguably, signed agreements should be abided by unless formally renegotiated. That said, that doesn't seem to be Ivan's precise objection.

Invasion of Poland would not be the same as previous incursions by foreign forces. As a NATO member, it would likely trigger WW3; which, of course, we are totally prepared for. :sad5:

8. Both reasonable points- it will alter the effective throw weight. By how much I'm not sure, but I'd argue not enough to alter the strategic balance.

Equally, arguably, signed agreements should be abided by. I could make the argument that SALT, START etc. represent a pragmatic recognition to the straegic state of affairs in the 70s and 80s: i.e. that the Cold War was getting dangerously hot, and that neither side could continue to affort new / more weapons without something going badly wrong. As such the establishment of a US ABM system is a pragmatic recogniton of changed strategic circumstances in the 2000s, in a similar vein.

But it's Friday afternoon, and I can't bring myself to do the research to back up that argument in full.

If I was feeling facetious I might even suggest that as we aren't ready for WW3 now would be a good time to face down the Russians.

9. According to the U.S. these missile sights are to protect against Iran..which makes their usual very poor sense of geography even worse!
    Is it the Russians or the U.S. that is having difficulty remembering that the Cold War is over.
    IMHO these attempts to inflame old systems are the U.S. hierachy (not the puppet on the end of it) once again looking after their wallets, nothing more, nothing less.

10. Last year there was some American scientist saying that that would be nice to reduce the present human population to one million men. I guess he's involved in this project as well.

11. Actually what they forget to tell us at school it that Poland was no particularly peaceful neighbour. They wouldn't tell you that Poland was taking active part in partition of Chehoslovakia in company with Nazi Germany and got a big chank of that country.
    As soon as Poland became independent from the Russian Empire in the 20th it started the war against independent Lithuania in order to incorporate it - which was a failure.
    After getting independence from Russia the Poles, as a God loving, tolerant nation started destroying Russian Orthodox churches and managed to destroy more than 140 churches up to 1930 th. This is the numbers from General Denikin's book "The Life of an Officer" (He was a White Russian commander during the Russian civil war and had a Russian father and Polish mother).

It is a great national tradition coming back to the Middle Ages in Poland to blame Russians for everything.

It is not for nothing that the major anti-Russian ideologist in the USA is of Polish extraction.

12. Russia IS to blame for everything.

13. Now I know why I had a powercut today...

14. Now those areseholes with the stupid hats are threatening a Nuclear Stike against Poland.

The man is such a '********'.

15. NotmeChief, I can see that the meaning what that Russian general had said was distorted on purpose. He meant that any potential rocket launch site close to Russia is a legitimate target in case of war. It's just a Russian defence condition.

All our major centres are targeted by the Russians anyway. As well as all American big sites and big cities. And vice versa.

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Henry: It's not called 'MAD' for nothing ('Mutually Assured Destruction')... :wink:

17. he should take in the comic as well :w00t: :thumright:

18. Poland isn't an ex-Soviet state.