Poc/Acquaint - RNAS Culdrose 14th - 17th Jan

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by foxtrot, Jan 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been given a place on a air acquaint course at Culdrose, with a rail warrant for travel from Middlesbrough to Helston.

Does anybody know if it's possible to apply for fuel travel expenses instead of using the train? Although its 400+ miles, its much easier and quicker for me to drive it rather than use a 13 hour train journey.

If that doesn't work out, can anybody advise on the best way to get there by train? I was looking at going to Camborne station.

Is anybody else going along who uses the forum?

Foxtrot

2. If I recal correctly the nearest station is Redruth. You then get a connecting bus from there to Culdrose, and your train ticket is valid as it counts as a branch line. By the way, you might have difficulty when you hand in your warrant as most "up-country" train people don't seem to realise this. I once had a very frustrating conversation at Paddington as the ticket seller refused to believe me, until I pointed out "Helston" or "Culdrose" on his train map!

The Culdrose acquaint is outstanding, make the most of it.

Good luck!

3. You should be able to claim for fuel instead.
    Enjoy it, it'll be a laugh. All I will say is watch out for baggers.

4. Why, pray tell ?

5. Need you really ask, not the freak show for nothing!!

6. Thanks, guys. i found some decent train times which will get me there in good time and will stick with the warrant.
    The brief they sent me looks fantastic and i can't wait!

Foxtrot

7. Just be careful if a man in a green suit offers to show you his inflatable bag, or if anyone offers to take you to the Spingo House in Helston. One pint of Spingo Spango juice and you will wake in the morning with your ring peice ripped and torn like a Fleet Chiefs Burberry Cuff, you have been warned. :pottytrain4:

8. Hi Foxtrot,

I went on the Culdrose POAC last month and drove, and they did reimburse the petrol money.

It's a good course, enjoy it!

9. Be exceptionally wary of men that offer to show you their inflatable bag, and then offer to take you to the Spango House.

10. Ahh, the Christmas Spingo, such bittersweet memories!!! :rendeer:

11. I'll bear that in mind!

12. So how was it?

13. You mean you couldn't free up time to get amongst the youngy girlies then Bafwafu?? Used to be all the rage when the POACs pitched up!

14. Mate, I'm far too old for that sort of thing nowadays, maybe 10 years ago lol. But always fun to watch the youngsters have a go in the datum - bar profits must go up massively over the course of the acquaint.

Anyway, not actually at CU at the moment.