PNST

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Retread, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On my history sheet is the entry PNST – Passed Naval Swimming Test – which is an out-and-out lie.

The endorsement is there because I bribed a PTI with strong drink while at Ganges. Years later at Royal Arthur I was “invited†to attend “Backward Swimmers†– as I was unable to swim forwards, I politely declined!

I have always found swimming difficult simply because I’m not designed to float. Whenever I reveal this fact to people they seem amazed that I was ever in the RN but I simply point out two things;

1. My father was in the RAF and to my certain knowledge he couldn’t fly.

2. When you join the RN, Mrs Windsor’s government give you a ship to stand on (or at least they used to!) Being able to swim three lengths of the pool and tread water for three minutes is likely to be of little help when some trigger happy Bubble Head blows the thing from under you in mid-Atlantic! 8O

2. It could be moderately useful, though, if you had to abandon ship, swim to a liferaft and tread water for a few minutes waiting to get on board, whilst wearing ovies.

Apart from that, it's 4 lengths of a pool (as far as I remember) - bloody hell, if you were to fart with spirit you'd go that far.

Stop dripping!

3. It's 50m in under 4 minutes after treading water for 2 minutes wearing overalls. I take just over 10 minutes to do the 1.5 mile run and I managed to do the 50m in 2 minutes in jeans and a long sleeved T-shirt. I'm also not the floating type.