Pneumona/Inhaler

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by campbellton, Aug 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had my medical today and everything was fine except when I told him about a bout of pneumonia in summer in Alaska. The problem was that was given an inhaler and he told me i'm not allowed to have used one in the past 4 years. I used it once and it made no difference so I didn't use it again, to be honest I'm not entirely convinced I even had pneumonia. I have a letter for my GP asking about my history with asthma and inhalers (none) and then tale it from there.
    What are my chances of passing this? I literally used it once and threw it away and the doctor even said at the time it wasn't really necessary just an extra in case. I would be totally gutted of I got denied entry for that one stupid thing.

2. i cant believe u even mentioned it if you only used it once

3. he asked my if I was given an inhaler and I wasn't going to lie when it's on my medical records?

4. Raffer, don't be a tool. If you lie, it is bound to come back and bit you on the arse, with probably, dishonourable discharge!

Cambleton, I also had the same letter for your GP as you have. And I passed my medical, don't really know where you will stand but just wanted to say good luck :)

5. well yeah i suppose, but to be honest i probably wouldnt even remember if i had only used it once. Maybe you were right to declare it but i feel rules are in place for a reason so it looks like a 4 year wait.

6. Ahhhh feck :lol:

You know what I mean ;)

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Trigger seems to have bought a puncture repair kit and borrowed one of slims crisp packets. Thats his kind of inhaler. :wink:

8. And so begins Asthma/Inhaler(Issued but hardly/not used.)/Keep a diary/Puff test/Panic/Wibble thread #103. :roll:
    Use the search option or just go into the newbies forum as I'm sure this was all covered just last frickin' week! Again :evil:

9. Calm down dear, here, take a deep breath
    [​IMG]

10. I've had it and believe me, if you had, you would certainly know about it.

11. Pneumonia won't respond to a salbutamol inhaler anyway - they are given out to help open up the non-diseased lung to make breathing easier.

As NZB has said, this has been covered ad infinitum. The summary is: see the asthma nurse at your GP surgery, get a peak-flow meter (and ask how to use it properly), get a peak flow diary and check your own peak flow a couple of times a day for the next month. This will (hopefully!) prove you don't need an inhaler.

Angrydoc
    RN Medical Officer

12. Ha, ha I see what you did there. :roll:

13. Ditto, 4 nearly 5 months off work!!!!

That'll teach me to ride my push bike when it's minus 15!!!!!!!!!

(Viral phenomena I must add) No inhaler!

14. thanks AngryDoc
    once I do that for a month with fine readInge and take it back to the AFCO to send away there shouldn't be any reason to knock me back?