Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMU'd

squigga

Midshipman
I did an initial application back in this January and got passed in my interview stage with flying colours etc. however they told me to reapply after finding that prescribed inhaler for precaution. My gp has stated on my records I do not have asthma I'm just worried about having a lower score

J

JFOTRAVELS

Was your inhaler in the last 4 years? Have you done your RT?

squigga

Midshipman
Yeah it was the back end of 2010/start of '11(inhaler) hence the letter saying they'd 'look forward to receiving my application' again next January.

squigga

Midshipman
(Don't shoot) but I applied for the army originally so, their stages were interviews first and then the tests before a medical if that makes it more clear... I know, better choice here etc. my dad was a CPO in the mob so makes sense to follow

J

JFOTRAVELS

Gotcha! I would have a good chat with your GP and try to get hold of a peak flow if you can. Just practice the technique of it and reapply when you can if you're still keen. You can only but try ;)

squigga

Midshipman
True. Just spoken to the nurse about it and she said I shouldn't worry as they're purely guidelines anyway; she again said to practice and not stress - 'if it's been stated I don't have it then if a peak flow diary is sent then it should just be precautionary; people have respiratory problems in the past due to trigger factors such as allergies, infections, stress etc'. Hope that may help anyone. I'm very physically fit anyway and can run for miles without difficulty just a little frame I think. Practise is the key I think

nemesis1066

Lantern Swinger
OTE="squigga, post: 1273300, member: 24970"]True. Just spoken to the nurse about it and she said I shouldn't worry as they're purely guidelines anyway; she again said to practice and not stress - 'if it's been stated I don't have it then if a peak flow diary is sent then it should just be precautionary; people have respiratory problems in the past due to trigger factors such as allergies, infections, stress etc'. Hope that may help anyone. I'm very physically fit anyway and can run for miles without difficulty just a little frame I think. Practise is the key I think[/QUOTE]
Morning Squigga,
I hope the nurse went through the technique of Peak Flow with you, not just told you to practice, as you may practice getting the wrong way right.
You may think you have normally low readings, but the diary will give an accurate picture of how you are, which alongside your med history will make a decision valid.
Good luck (applying for the Army is forgiven as you have now made the right choice!)

squigga

Midshipman
Yes it's all about technique; I'm finding with interval training my peak flow has risen anyway so, fingers crossed, I can up it!