Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Burridge97, Apr 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got PMU'd for having asthma ( inhalers issued to me ) however I don't have asthma on my medical records nor have I ever been diagnosed with asthma.I had wheeze when I was a child and therefore had an inhaler issued to me, I have not used inhalers for years although I had to be prescribed them so my school could have them . I also had my medical and was told to do a peak flow , which I did however they never asked for the results back and I was told that they would contact me after completion of the diary, I have not sent the diary off as they have not requested it yet and yet they have said that I have symptoms of asthma and therefore cannot join.
    Should I appeal this, if so are appeals usually successful ?
  2. Have you had an inhaler in the past 4 years whether it be for asthma or not?
  3. not that i'm aware off
  4. That won't help if you don't know that. Ask your parent/guardian?
  5. They said I havn't been issued one for over four years from what they remember , either way I havn't used them and that's stated on my medical records that I havn't used inhalers and that they were simply for school and when I was a child.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst you undertake the four week peak flow diary, the medical examiner sends an asthma questionnaire to your GP.

It sounds like you have either/or been prescribed steroidal inhalers or have been prescribed inhalers less than four years ago. Precautionary or otherwise, you need to be four years clear of prescription.

Best bet? Speak to your GP first.
  7. See I don't rember being issued any inhalers in the last four years , if I have does this mean can I not re apply next year or not at all ?? Got a GP appointment next week to discuss it
  8. As Ninja says, any mention in your notes resets the clock. 4 years clear is 4 years clear I'm afraid.
  9. okay , so would I just have to wait 4 years for it to be okay for me to re-apply? Thank you for your help !
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Have a chat with your GP - he/she will be able to confirm the date of the last prescription.

What can happen is parents may request precautionary prescriptions "just in case", unbeknown to the patient, if under 18.

In one case I came across, there was a parent who suffered from asthma but used the son's free prescriptions, or so they claimed. Big mistake.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well i'm 17 and my parents were likely to be the 'just in case type' as I've had to have inhalers prescribed to me to take to my school as they requested one and also another for my sports team. Although I havn't actually used an inhaler for way over four years, its just the fact that iv'e had to be prescribed at least two so that my school and sports team had one to cover themselves.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

It's a difficult one. As you are aware, people die from asthma & as a parent myself, you'd never forgive yourself if an inhaler was needed but wasn't available.

At the same time, if you no longer had asthma symptoms, then the GP should not be prescribing the treatment. It's really not something you can realistically claim in retrospect.
  13. Yeah i can understand why my parents got them for me but its just all confusing because i havnt used one for years , im going to my GP next week to get them to write me letter saying i dont have asthma as before i applied i asked them to check my records and they made it very clear that i do not have it.
    Thank you for your help i really appreciate it :)
  14. Do you know whether they have to wait for the 4 week peak flow diary before deciding if you are 'fit' or 'unfit'. The doctor told me no but my AFCO says my application is 'on hold - pending information from my GP'.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

If you have a history of asthma your medical suitability cannot be determined until you complete & return the 4 week peak flow diary & your GP completes and returns an asthma questionnaire regarding your history.
  16. Thank you.

I feel a little disappointed to have asked this very question to the doctor who I saw who said 'No, no no - you could get a call as soon as tomorrow to book in your fitness'. Does the questionnaire go to my GP after I return my diary? As he has not yet received it a week on from my medical.
  17. I'm a bit nervous re the whole peak flow meter thing; I've had to wait 4x years to apply (info- no asthma symptoms or reports of related problems except a chest infection hence an inhaler a while back) and I am aware I may have to do a peak flow diary - I'm worried as I don't give a massive score predicted for my gender and age (just under 400 and am frightened I'll be PMU'd) I'm very physically fit and have no problems just wonder if it's due to my build being little-framed! Wonder if anyone could shed some light on the whole what's what with the whole peak flow aspect?
    Sorry for the waffling.
  18. I had to do it and they never asked for it back... Might of been just me.
  19. Did you get the average for your age and gender? Thanks for the heads up
  20. Hi Squigga,

I wouldn't worry too much about the score itself. The level on entry depends more on the difference between your lowest and highest score. What stage of your application are you at now? I handed my 4 week peak flow and after a quick calculation between my lowest and highest score was given all clear to proceed for my PJFT. I don't think my scores were necessarily high, but they were obviously not those of someone with asthma. I'm 7 years clear and the doctor agreed I was misdiagnosed initially.

Good luck!