Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMU, without even a face-to-face medical

Prost92

Any idea where to go from here? I waited months only to hear back that I am permanently medically unfit without ever having been assessed by a Capita doctor in person. Is this normal?

Already passed my fitness, eye test, and security clearance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It is not uncommon for medical records to be reviewed and the applicant to be found "unfit for service" without attending a face to face medical.

Technically your application should not have been permitted to progress to PJFT if not passed fit, but often what happens is the applicant tells their careers adviser that the doctor told them they had "Passed everything..." but miss out the "except I need to write to your GP about ... " bit. Sometimes the Medical Examiner makes an error in passing someone fit for service only to later have to retract that decision upon review by the service medical authorities at the receiving new entry training establishment.

The first thing to do is write a letter in reply to your medical rejection letter to enquire why you were found unfit for service (if you don't know already) and request they advise under what, if any circumstances you could in future meet the medical standards for entry. The letter should find it's way to the Service Entry Medical Cell for definitive guidance.

This way, you will find out whether permanent means permanent (ie; 'not appeal-able') or whether it means "permanent unless the following applies....". (ie: it could just be a matter of being a determined period free from treatment, recurrence or restrictions. Then again it may need expert medical evidence and fitness diaries, etc., to prove you are fully fit to enter the rigours of training).

Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi bud... Was just wondering what was the reason they gave you as to marking you PMU?..
There are dozens & dozens of reasons with regard reasons why someone may be made unfit for entry. The danger is assuming that someone passed fit with an outwardly similar condition to someone medically unfit is grounds for an appeal.

In my experience those declared unfit often make light and trivialise the underlying reason behind the medical decision and similarly those passed fit can over-egg the perceived significance of their condition.

We often hear people make the mind-numbingly bone statement "I was too honest".

By way of example, I've heard people with multiple suicide attempts describe their condition as a single bout of mild depression and equally a person completely deaf in one ear or blind in one eye describe the condition as partial hearing loss or slightly impaired vision. Conversely I've heard someone with a headache describe it as chronic migraine and a person with bronchitis claim they had asthma.

Lmw

Hi if anyone could help me. I was made TMU due to a viral illness I had about 4 years ago. I was in hospital for 4 days and have not had anything else since or any other problems related to that incident. Capita have asked me for abit more insight into what has happened. Is there a chance I could get Made PMU? Any help would be heavily appreciated.

Drakey

War Hero
First of all well done for reactivating a post that is 3 years old.

No one on here can answer that question as it is a medical issue. Just go with the flow and see what the outcome is. Capita want to make sure that you are medically fit before giving you the go-ahead.

fishhead

War Hero
Hi if anyone could help me. I was made TMU due to a viral illness I had about 4 years ago. I was in hospital for 4 days and have not had anything else since or any other problems related to that incident. Capita have asked me for abit more insight into what has happened. Is there a chance I could get Made PMU? Any help would be heavily appreciated.
Capita will require more information from your GP. Make sure that your GP responds to any requests.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Deemed PMU, advice? Joining the Royal Navy 4
Z PMU Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Appealing PMU for Mental Health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M Pmu advise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 17
C Potential PMU Health & Fitness 2
B Self referral PMU? Joining the Royal Navy 3
I PMU appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
S Medical - PMU IgA Nephropathy, next steps? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrTee147 Appealing A PMU Joining the Royal Navy 1
B PMU for Pilot - advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M PMU Appeals ? Health & Fitness 2
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
B PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
S PMU for military- RFA an option? RFA 5
A PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S PMU Health & Fitness 13
MoD_RSS UK warns that peace talks ‘fail without women’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trustee operated without oversight at ‘inadequately run’ charity finds Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Inspector warns against pursuing success without substance MoD News 0
IrishGuard HMAS Choules - A cruise ship without the pina coladas International 1
MoD_RSS Breaking the Silence: There can be no health without mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chesterfield man nets £431 penalty for fishing without a licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing without a licence costs Retford man over £600 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London school sold and shut by trustee who acted ‘without considering consequences’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £600 penalty for man fishing without licence and removing fish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: No reconstruction assistance without a credible political settlement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Man found fishing without a licence in Newark nets £600 penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Nottinghamshire man billed £500 for fishing without a licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Fishing without a licence costs Leicestershire man over £560 more than cost of licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: " There can be no health without mental health" : speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Leicestershire man nets £600 fine for fishing without a licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ilkeston man fined over £600 for fishing without a licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: An update on existing trade agreements if the UK leaves the EU without a deal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Angler without a fishing licence pleads guilty to obstructing an officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fishing without a licence costs owner, master and fishing company over £75,000 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fishing without a licence costs owner, master and fishing company over £75,000 MoD News 0
soleil BAE: "How To Launch A Ship Without Making A Splash" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Reiterating the call for a 30-day ceasefire, without delay, in Syria MoD News 0
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
D How to find out what ships someone served on without them knowing. The Quarterdeck 18
AussieMedic Security Clearance - can you start without it? RFA 3
MoD_RSS News story: Unmanned ground vehicle localisation without GNSS MoD News 0
N Corbyn: UK could keep Trident submarines but without warheads Current Affairs 50
C (Re)Live a life without limits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Telegraph: "'Britain Must Scale Back Ambitions Without More Defence Money'" Current Affairs 19