Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMU for Pilot - advice needed

brook12

I have just received a letter to say I am PMU for pilot due to hay fever. This is despite my doctor writing a letter to confirm I have no medical history of it. In my medical I was completely honest and ticked the box however the doc didn't ask me the last time I had it, how severe etc. I last had a case when I was 13 (5 years ago) which was a mild one and never had it since but this won't have been recorded as the doc didn't ask me. According to the eligibility criteria if I have been free for more than 4 years and if it wasn't severe it should be fine. Do you think I have grounds for an appeal? Even more gutting is that I have already passed my FATs.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Aircrew medical standards are pretty rigid and the issue is probably related to the type of treatment. If an inhaler was prescribed due to a detected asthma wheeze then an appeal in the case of aircrew is unlikely to succeed but shouldn't necessarily be a bar to non-flying branches unless it was a steroidal inhaler or steroids were prescribed to treat it.

If you were prescribed an inhaler then a questionnaire will have been sent to your GP requesting the full history of the issue, the diagnosis, treatment and any repeat occurrences. Presumably you would also have been given a peak flow meter to record a peak flow diary if an inhaler was prescribed.

The thing to check is what information your GP provided - if it was incorrect or the treatment inappropriate for the condition, then that can be appealed if he/she will make a written statement to that effect, but otherwise the only grounds for appeal would be if no inhalers were prescribed and the signs/symptoms did not suggest an asthmatic reaction.

From the way you describe it, it sounds as though you may well have had a repeat prescription of inhalers up unitil age 13 - if that's the case an appeal would be unsuccessful unfortunately.

Best of luck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Deemed PMU, advice? Joining the Royal Navy 3
Z PMU Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Appealing PMU for Mental Health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M Pmu advise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 10
C Potential PMU Health & Fitness 2
B Self referral PMU? Joining the Royal Navy 3
I PMU appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
S Medical - PMU IgA Nephropathy, next steps? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P PMU, without even a face-to-face medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MrTee147 Appealing A PMU Joining the Royal Navy 1
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M PMU Appeals ? Health & Fitness 2
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
B PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
S PMU for military- RFA an option? RFA 5
A PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S PMU Health & Fitness 13
soleil BBC4 - Wednesday, September 16th 2020 - 9 pm - Britain's Greatest Pilot: The Extraordinary Story of Captain Winkle Brown The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Innovative new pilot launched to speed up access to key services MoD News 0
O How bad is the Aircrew Pilot/Observer Qualification pipeline? Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Airbus A319-111, Obscured pilot vision caused by misted oxygen mask MoD News 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
S Pilot role for commonwealth ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate casework continues as first pilot digital hearing to take place in May MoD News 0
BFRS123 Tyhoon Simulator Instructor Pilot The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
W How long at sea - pilot / obs The Fleet Air Arm 3
J Applying for pilot roles in Navy and RAF simultaneously Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
P Pilot Medical Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Courts and tribunals service centres to pilot longer hours MoD News 0
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS 54 historic places of worship restored thanks to government pilot scheme MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN Page: "RN Pilot (On Exchange Programme) Helps To Save Lives In The Devastating Fires In Australia" The Fleet Air Arm 2
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 5
soleil FB: RN Photographers: What Happens If A Pilot Goes Down Behind Enemy Lines? Video By LPhot Dan Shepherd The Fleet Air Arm 0
S RT Eligibility: FAA Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Rolladen-Schneider LS7, pilot suffered a heart attack in-flight MoD News 0
P Pilot Exchanges Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS New report shows pilot scheme farmers boost environment outcomes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF pilot seconded to Virgin Orbit space programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pilot project using nature to tackle flooding launched in Earby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of trees planted in a pilot to help reduce flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: fee claims for HMCTS flexible operating hours pilot MoD News 0