PMU for Pilot - advice needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by brook12, Apr 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just received a letter to say I am PMU for pilot due to hay fever. This is despite my doctor writing a letter to confirm I have no medical history of it. In my medical I was completely honest and ticked the box however the doc didn't ask me the last time I had it, how severe etc. I last had a case when I was 13 (5 years ago) which was a mild one and never had it since but this won't have been recorded as the doc didn't ask me. According to the eligibility criteria if I have been free for more than 4 years and if it wasn't severe it should be fine. Do you think I have grounds for an appeal? Even more gutting is that I have already passed my FATs.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Aircrew medical standards are pretty rigid and the issue is probably related to the type of treatment. If an inhaler was prescribed due to a detected asthma wheeze then an appeal in the case of aircrew is unlikely to succeed but shouldn't necessarily be a bar to non-flying branches unless it was a steroidal inhaler or steroids were prescribed to treat it.

If you were prescribed an inhaler then a questionnaire will have been sent to your GP requesting the full history of the issue, the diagnosis, treatment and any repeat occurrences. Presumably you would also have been given a peak flow meter to record a peak flow diary if an inhaler was prescribed.

The thing to check is what information your GP provided - if it was incorrect or the treatment inappropriate for the condition, then that can be appealed if he/she will make a written statement to that effect, but otherwise the only grounds for appeal would be if no inhalers were prescribed and the signs/symptoms did not suggest an asthmatic reaction.

From the way you describe it, it sounds as though you may well have had a repeat prescription of inhalers up unitil age 13 - if that's the case an appeal would be unsuccessful unfortunately.

Best of luck

3. Thanks Ninja I have replied to you via inbox

• Like Like x 1