Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMU for military- RFA an option?

Stanbek

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether being declared Permanently Medically Unfit for military service also applies to the RFA?

It was due to how a long-resolved childhood medical condition appears on my medical records (the condition itself isn't an automatic bar, but the- in my opinion incorrectly represented- duration is). From my limited research I can see that potential RFA employees need an ENG1 but also have to reach the 'RFA medical standards'- are these the same as for the RN?

I am appealing but realise the chances of success are slim. A cadetship in the RFA looks at first glance like something I might enjoy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I would be classed PMU for the RN but have my ENG1 no problem for the RFA. Depends on condition and how bad I would imagine.

Stanbek

Thanks Jenny, that's encouraging.

It was for a condition I had 13/14 years ago. The requirements are that the duration can't be for longer than 6 months. In my case, it was 5 months, but I have another (bizarre, inexplicable) mention of it on my records 7 years later (in itself, 7 years ago). It's this entry on my record which I'm going to try to dispute, although I realise success is unlikely.

Here's the relevant bit from JSP950:

Chronic fatigue syndrome and associated disorders
3.13.7. Candidates diagnosed as suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome or the
group of associated disorders e.g. fibromyalgia (FM), myalgic encephalitis (ME), or post
viral fatigue syndrome (PVFS), are graded P8. Those with a history of this disorder lasting
no more than six months, but who have been certified to have had no further symptoms
and have been undertaking normal activities for more than two years require the opinion of
a Service consultant physician before acceptance3.

I have no medical issues now and run marathons and ultramarathons so I think I'm ok fitness wise; nothing else turned up as a problem on my medical. Pretty frustrated to say the least but am going to stay upbeat and look at other options- I realise the RFA is a very different lifestyle but many of the aspects which appealed to me about the military seem to apply. I'd just like to know how realistic my chances are.

Mrecho84

Lantern Swinger
I was pmu and discharged from the army early 00s. I've recently joined the rfa.

Best bet for specific medical advice for your condition would be to phone recruiting and arrange to speak to the occupational health nurse.

Best of luck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
Only just seen this - I was medically released from my commitment to join the Army back in the early 00s and I too have recently joined the RFA.

Best thing to do is to call the RFA Occupational Health Nurse and have a chat with her about it. I can give you the number if you have any issues getting hold of her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Further to the above, if you call the RFA Recruiters, 02392 725 371, they are happy to pass you over to the OHN.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Deemed PMU, advice? Joining the Royal Navy 4
Z PMU Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Appealing PMU for Mental Health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M Pmu advise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 17
C Potential PMU Health & Fitness 2
B Self referral PMU? Joining the Royal Navy 3
I PMU appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
S Medical - PMU IgA Nephropathy, next steps? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P PMU, without even a face-to-face medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MrTee147 Appealing A PMU Joining the Royal Navy 1
B PMU for Pilot - advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M PMU Appeals ? Health & Fitness 2
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
B PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
A PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S PMU Health & Fitness 13
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary hails support for military families MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £3m to fund new wave of Artificial Intelligence for the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Year Honours and Awards: Military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Military Division of the New Year Honours 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl scientists and military advisers receive New Year’s Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Military to support the testing of thousands of secondary school and college students in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Good progress’ made in tackling unacceptable behaviour in the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM to announce largest military investment in 30 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid and military support sent to Cental America in wake of Hurricane Eta MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Military Wives Choir and the 100 year journey of the Unknown Warrior MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and France able to deploy a 10,000 strong joint military force in response to shared threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Personalised career support for hundreds of military spouses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Military division of the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nagorno-Karabakh: UK and Canada joint statement in response to continued military clashes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amazon launches new Military Talent Pool MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ongoing military action along the line of contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh region: UK statement MoD News 0
C Military Terminology The Quarterdeck 20
MoD_RSS UK military dog to receive PDSA Dickin Medal after tackling Al Qaeda insurgents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mali: UK statement on military coup MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Paraguayans graduate from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK defence teams up with world leading UK space company to secure next generation of military communications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Watch the world’s biggest military air show online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New anti-bullying helpline to clamp down on poor behaviour in the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Permanent protection from higher tax for military personnel in Scotland MoD News 0
P Holiday while in the military Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Evaluating the benefit of licencing military aircraft engineers MoD News 0
Naval_Gazer A Petition - Maximum automatic penalties for damaging Military Memorials Petitions 32
MoD_RSS New mental fitness tool launched to help military enhance mental wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary thanks military for coronavirus support MoD News 0